Cage biting solutions

busybeebabies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here.
So, about a year ago, my mother and younger sister made the decision to suddenly get two more guinea pigs so that my former baby, Bernie, (who has now crossed the rainbow bridge...) wouldn't be lonely.
Both of my babies (Benjamin, who is orange, and Bucky who is dark brown with a blonde stripe) are males who I believe are about a year old now. They bonded when they were younger but they've had a falling out as Benjamin constantly tries to be dominant and mounts Bucky who does not appreciate the harassment. So I made the difficult decision of permanently separating them. I attempted to give them floor time together every now but they've gone in circles, nipped at eachother, and Benjamin always chases Bucky. So now they're both in their own cages that are beside eachother but I've had to put cardboard between them because Benjamin bites the cage and stands on his hind legs and cries for Bucky when he sees him! Not to mention he's super skittish and I don't want Benjamin getting dental disease! Bucky on the other hand seems completely content and isn't skittish at all and loves getting his head scratched.
The vet suggested neutering for Benjamin but I've heard that neutering actually doesn't change behaviours. I've even bought chews for the both of them to encourage enrichment and so that Benjamin tries biting something else but he quickly went through it and isn't interested anymore. I've even considered if giving Benjamin away would be best for my baby but it breaks my heart and I'm super super scared of Benjamin being neglected in any way so I'm desperate for any other solutions. My family is also quite poor as I have three younger siblings and a single mother so getting another guinea pig isn't an option at the moment.
So overall, I want to know if Benjamin can turn out okay even without a companion with just the right amount of love and attention. Whether he needs new toys or more floortime or bonding with me through mealtime.

Thanks for reading everyone,
I appreciate it,
Busybee

I’m sorry to hear their bond broke down.

The reality is what is occurring is normal. You are highly unlikely to stop his bar biting but stopping them from seeing each other by putting cardboard in permanently may be more frustrating for him. They must be able to interact between the bars for constant companionship.
However it’s also important to be aware that behaviours between the bars can also be a way for them to mark their territories. Its just normal behaviour.

Neutering will not make any difference.

Both your piggies will be absolutely fine living side by side provided they can still talk to each other through the bars.
You should not put separated piggies together for floor time as that is seen as a full on bonding session and given the piggies aren’t compatible then it can result in a lot of stress and issues.

I have four piggies - I have a bonded pair of boys but I also have a separated pair of boys. They too had a fight when they were young and have lived separately and side by side for around a year now.

I’m sorry to hear their bond broke down.

The reality is what is occurring is normal. You are highly unlikely to stop his bar biting but stopping them from seeing each other by putting cardboard in permanently may be more frustrating for him. They must be able to interact between the bars for constant companionship.
However it’s also important to be aware that behaviours between the bars can also be a way for them to mark their territories. Its just normal behaviour.

Neutering will not make any difference.

Both your piggies will be absolutely fine living side by side provided they can still talk to each other through the bars.
You should not put separated piggies together for floor time as that is seen as a full on bonding session and given the piggies aren’t compatible then it can result in a lot of stress and issues.

I have four piggies - I have a bonded pair of boys but I also have a separated pair of boys. They too had a fight when they were young and have lived separately and side by side for around a year now.
Dear piggies&buns,
Thank you for my first reply!
I highly appreciate your insights and I’ve instantly taken down the cardboard to see how it works out. I’m anxious about Benjamin’s cage biting as I fear for dental disease or tooth damage but I have hopes that in seeing Bucky regularly through the bars he’ll be able to calm down a bit and reduce the habit at least a little bit.
Your ownership of your two boys gives me relief and hope for the future.
I’ll be sure to give an update soon!
Thanks again,
Busybee

Back