Cage advice

Newguineapigmum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I just needed someone advice are either of these big enough for two Guinea pigs to live in? They do get time out of their cage everyday for a minimum 1.5hrs, I try to let them out for longer most days.

Attachments

• 753A9E86-7517-48C8-BE28-E52CEBACA9EB.webp
    753A9E86-7517-48C8-BE28-E52CEBACA9EB.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 2
  • BFA39EA6-1A11-411E-AAB3-198E991B69B6.webp
    BFA39EA6-1A11-411E-AAB3-198E991B69B6.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 2
What are the dimensions of these cages? And what genders are the guinea pigs?
A minimum cage size of 120cm x 60cm is recommended for 2 guinea pigs, but I would allow more room for a pair of males.

Hi I just needed someone advice are either of these big enough for two Guinea pigs to live in? They do get time out of their cage everyday for a minimum 1.5hrs, I try to let them out for longer most days.

As you have boys, the first one is fine but the second one is unsuitable.

The cage size needed for two boars is 180x60cm or 12 square feet.
Minimum for two boys is 150x60cm (10 square feet) but personally I would avoid it and always go to 180x60cm. A pair of boars kept in too small of a space will fall out.

Only the bottom level of a hutch counts towards the living space. This is because piggies aren’t natural climbers and prefer single level living. An upper level is fine as a bonus space but it doesn’t double the available space and piggies may not use the upper level.
Also consider if the hutch is for year round outdoor living rather than just occasional summer use (although even then it of course had to meet size requirements). If it is for year round, it’s better to go for the biggest hutch rather than just meeting minimum. This is because they will have to be in it overnight and during all winter with no run access so ensuring enough exercise space inside it for those months is important.

(Personally, the only time i use two level hutches now is when I have two separate pairs so one pair live upstairs and one pair downstairs - thereby saving floor space in my shed!)

The first one (the foxglove) measures 160x71cm which converts to the recommended 12 square feet. This is fine for two boys.

I would not get the second one (the blossom) for either sex.
The measurements of the run part are 133x115cm.
Making the measurements of the hutch part 133x59cm.
As I say, The only part of a two storey hutch which counts as the cage size is the bottom level (upper levels don’t count). However in this case as the bottom part is a run which means it cannot be used as living space. Meaning they are shut in the hutch part overnight, when unsupervised and during all winter.
The measurements of the hutch part aren’t big enough for two boys to ever be shut in.

(This would be minimum so ok but not ideal for two sows or it would be ok if it was kept in the house so the piggies could have 24/7 year round access to the bottom part).

From what I've read here and there, this kind of cage is not exactly ideal for guinea pigs, and it seems very tiny (I don't know the measurements), also, they seem to be quite warm/hot on top. As the user above said, the minimum space is 12 sq feet but the larger the better, mainly for boars. I am uploading one of the photos I got from internet I used for reference for my cage.
images (19).webp

Currently my two boars live in a 12~13sq feet cage, but they got one larger which it is at my main home now (16sq feet).

Here it is mine:

IMG_20240731_081127297_HDR.webpIMG_20240801_120224354_HDR.webpIMG_20240717_191308295_HDR.webp

Back