C&C fleece liners - is it ok to alternate patterns?

piglew

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've ordered C&C cage with 2 different fleece liners as bedding. But will my guinea pigs be freaked out when I swap the bedding patterns over for cleaning? I know they don't like sudden changes but didn't know if this counted!

It's not too late to amend my order, so any advice much appreciated.

I use different patterns all the time and never noticed the pigs paying any attention to the patterns. Just lots of popcorning and zoomies for clean liners.

I don't think piggies pay much attention to the patterns of your fleece - it's just for your enjoyment 😊
I find mine love their houses changed over and moved around, lots of popcorning and zoomies 😍

I've ordered C&C cage with 2 different fleece liners as bedding. But will my guinea pigs be freaked out when I swap the bedding patterns over for cleaning? I know they don't like sudden changes but didn't know if this counted!

Out of over 70 piggies, I have only had one piggy who had an issue with me switching from light coloured neutral fleeces to a dark red one. None of the others ever had an issue with different coloured fleeces, mats or cosies/fleece caves in all colours or lively patterns.
But Cariad (Welsh for 'Darling') was a very timid soul anyway and definitely not the brightest star in the sky. She sat there for a whole week watching all her group mates walking on the new fleece and blocking the exit so the others had to occasionally actually jump over her to get in and out of the cage. She would put her paw out but just didn't dare touch the fleece and I did have to contruct a little 'bridge' with an acceptable doormat... But in the end, even she got it and moved around on it the same as all her other mates.

If you have concerns, don't wipe down any furnishings so the cage is still bearing their scent, which will help with acceptance.

They should be fine! As others have said, most people have lots of different designs. One suggestion: I stick to lighter colors because it’s much easier to see poops on the fleece that way. :)

I’ve never noticed them being freaked out over the patterns, I do find that they don’t like specific colours though! I have one that is floral and they absolutely make a mess of it so I have to change it sooner than usual 😂

Out of over 70 piggies, I have only had one piggy who had an issue with me switching from light coloured neutral fleeces to a dark red one. None of the others ever had an issue with different coloured fleeces, mats or cosies/fleece caves in all colours or lively patterns.
But Cariad (Welsh for 'Darling') was a very timid soul anyway and decidedly not the brightest anyway. She sat there for a week watching all her group mates walking on the new fleece and blocking the exit so the others had to occasionally actually jump over her to get in and out of the cage. She would put her paw out but just didn't dare touch the fleece and I did have to contruct a little 'bridge' with an acceptable doormat... But in the end, even she got it and moved around on it the same as all her other mates.

If you have concerns, don't wipe down any furnishings so the cage is still bearing their scent, which will help with acceptance.
Aw cute Cariad! A little bridge 😂😍

I’ve never found an issue with patterns. But I did once have a pair of piggies who really couldn’t cope with light coloured fleece. If I put a light coloured fleece house in, they would refuse to go in it and would squeeze in together in one darker fleece house. White or light blue fleece liners or bath mats would be avoided in favour of the dark blue ones. They were a rather traumatised pair of piggies so rather than try to encourage them to use the lighter fleece items I just bought darker ones and sewed darker fleece inside the interiors of snuggle sacs and houses to encourage them inside.

This is a really interesting question, it's not something I'd thought about. We have a mixture of patterns and colours. I've not noticed they have any preferences. I shall keep an eye on them and see if there's any change in behaviour with different feece, although I think I would have noticed any strong reactions.

I was thinking about this exact thing the other day! Since I've had my girls, I've only ever used dark solid colored fleece. I recently just bought Halloween themed fleece to put in their cage. They are both light in color with very busy patterns. When I used it in their cage for the first time the other day, they definitely noticed it and were looking at it a bit confused for a few minutes, but they got used to it and it seems to make no difference in their behavior. If I absolutely had to say, I think they like the dark fleece more, just because they are more used to it and I think the dark colored fleece makes their hideys feel darker and more cave-like lol.

Back