C&C doors

acapae

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey all, long time no see

What's the best way to turn a fixed C&C panel into a door that's easy to open and secure enough to close? And which is going to be relatively easily reversable in the future (aka I'm not going to do J-clips as they're very difficult to remove).

As of last week, my pigs are in a temporary location until spring. Not the original reason for the move, but after a bit of tidying yesterday it's now safe for them to free range straight out of their enclosure. Since my oldie isn't keen on handling this seems like a good plan. My C&C is over 20yrs old though, with the now very brittle connectors to prove it; so I don't really want to be messing with them any more than necessary, and certainly not multiple times every day.

Any suggestions?

I don't use the connectors on my C&C grids, I can't cope with the things falling off all the time. I just cable tie mine together. I leave two grids unjoined and close with bull dog clips, you can then swing the grid back to open the cage. On one of my cages I've used rachet pipe clips, harder to open but that particular piggie has discovered if he throws himself against the grids hard for a while the bull dog clips ping off! He's very determined and the only one thats ever achieved it!

Attachments

• IMG_1904.webp
    IMG_1904.webp
    67.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0579.webp
    IMG_0579.webp
    66.8 KB · Views: 22
Ooo thanks both. Someone on FB mentioned the doors but didn't have a link, and Google didn't help.

I could have a play with cable ties first though. I'm not 100% sure I'll have a bulldog clip that's small enough to fit between the squares but big enough to bridge the gap. But I can see if I can get the gap with the cable ties on the hinge side big enough to make up for the lack of connector? Removing all of the connectors would lead to other problems for me, although I have done so previously.

I use cable ties as the hinge and dog lead clips as the lock. Ah cant find the photo that I need!

Attachments

• P_20180821_155322.webp
    P_20180821_155322.webp
    51.2 KB · Views: 20
Ah found the photos I wanted.

Attachments

• P_20210224_145447.webp
    P_20210224_145447.webp
    63.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P_20210224_145436.webp
    P_20210224_145436.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 19
It was going well with the modded version following suggestions on here. It was a bit faffy to close, but I've settled into leaving it open most of the time anyway. Except the lack of rigidity made cleaning out in a small space really difficult, and likely put the remaining connectors under stress. So I've gone ahead and bought the door from the shop @rp1993 linked to.

I cable tie my cage too. I have a door on mine to access their loft. The hinge is just cable ties and the latch is 2 bulldog clips.

I'm not home. But can take a picture when I'm home if it helps.

Back