C&C cage queries

FirstTimePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Investigating this as an option. Anyone know how accurate the sizes given on the Kavee site are (space is tight)?

Does it make a difference if you use the connectors or cable ties?

And has anyone effectively overlapped panels if you need to shorten one side (but don't want to lose a whole panel)?

Thank you!

Not used Kavee myself (I used candcguineapigcages but I imagine they are accurate) no point in them stating the measurements if they aren’t. The company I used certainly the measurements were accurate.

Connectors or cable ties - It depends on the gap the connectors leave, some connectors pull them closer than others . I know on the cage I used, using cable and not connectors would make a little bit of difference to the overall measurements.
Although do remember the connectors give rigidity to the cage.

It’s fine and works to overlap grids - but obviously you do still want the cage to be as big as possible!

Last edited:
Not used Kavee myself (I used candcguineapigcages but I imagine they are accurate) no point in them stating the measurements if they aren’t. The company I used certainly the measurements were accurate.

Connectors or cable ties - It depends on the gap the connectors leave, some connectors pull them closer than others . I know on the cage I used, using cable and not connectors would make a little bit of difference to the overall measurements.
Although do remember the connectors give rigidity to the cage.

It’s fine and works to overlap grids - but obviously you do still want the cage to be as big as possible!
[/QUOTE

Thank you. Does anyone know if you can cut the grids if you wanted to keep rigidity, though I agree overlapping probably simpler!

Thank you. Does anyone know if you can cut the grids if you wanted to keep rigidity, though I agree overlapping probably simpler!

Overlapping them is simpler! (Overlapping gives the rigidity)

Cutting them is probably possible with a strong pair of cutters but because usually the outer edge of the grids is slightly thicker than the internal bars (certainly is on all the grids ive ever bought), if you cut them and start using an internal bar as an outer edge then the slots in the connectors may then be to wide for the thinner internal bars to fit into snuggly and securely.

Last edited:
I contacted Kavee for this very reason, cause I have built a platform on castors for the cage so wanted to check they are the exact external footprint. They replied saying it is, but as I have gone for the option with a stand I am a bit anxious that the connectors at the bottom will make is a bit bigger. I can't confirm for you though as the delivery has been messed up and I'm still waiting 2 weeks later!

I think I could do a 105 x 95 format, ie 3 squares by almost 3 (and overlap/cut on the shorter side). It would sit in an alcove and I’d ideally like to raise it up a bit. I want to “fill” the alcove and max out pig space so I was wondering if I could use a smaller low table, then put a piece of rigid plywood/similar on top under the pigs. Anyone tried something similar and have any tips?

I don’t think a C&C base would work owing to the overlap/cutting but any thoughts gratefully received! I might be able to adjust the size of the cage slightly in the future so don’t want to get an expensive custom sized table!

I think I could do a 105 x 95 format, ie 3 squares by almost 3 (and overlap/cut on the shorter side). It would sit in an alcove and I’d ideally like to raise it up a bit. I want to “fill” the alcove and max out pig space so I was wondering if I could use a smaller low table, then put a piece of rigid plywood/similar on top under the pigs. Anyone tried something similar and have any tips?

I don’t think a C&C base would work owing to the overlap/cutting but any thoughts gratefully received! I might be able to adjust the size of the cage slightly in the future so don’t want to get an expensive custom sized table!
Yes, i have done this. We bought a cheap table from Ikea and screwed a sheet of hardboard to it so that it would hold a 5x2 C&C cage (with a 2x2 loft). My OH drilled some holes into the hardboard so that the corners of the cage could be secured by cable ties.

IMG20220908110037.webp

IMG20220908110109.webp

Yes, i have done this. We bought a cheap table from Ikea and screwed a sheet of hardboard to it so that it would hold a 5x2 C&C cage (with a 2x2 loft). My OH drilled some holes into the hardboard so that the corners of the cage could be secured by cable ties.

View attachment 210663

View attachment 210662
What a great idea, thank you! We are going for a (nearly) 3x3 enclosure on smaller table. Did you use mdf or plywood and what approx thickness? We will be single storey and shouldn’t be too heavy but don’t want it to sag! Thanks again

What a great idea, thank you! We are going for a (nearly) 3x3 enclosure on smaller table. Did you use mdf or plywood and what approx thickness? We will be single storey and shouldn’t be too heavy but don’t want it to sag! Thanks again
Not sure but i will ask my OH when he gets home and come back to you with the details. :)

If it helps at all this is the platform I have built ready for mine. I have the 4x2 on order (with the storage level underneath) Its 18mm MDF with L shaped moulding around the edge to form a 'lip' so the cage doesn't risk getting pushed off. Just screwed casters into the bottom so I can wheel it around if I need better access all round for cleaning etc

Attachments

• IMG_4966 copy.webp
    IMG_4966 copy.webp
    88.4 KB · Views: 10
Looks wonderful! You must be very pleased with it. I will likely go for similar thickness but maybe secure cage with cable ties (as shown above) to avoid a lip to max the space we have available (though I do think a lip looks very smart, and gives a great finish).

View attachment 210663

View attachment 210662
Can I ask where you got your Correx please? I'll likely get the C&C panels from Kavee but, whilst I love the colour range, their Correx looks too low if not using fleece. I've found pre-cut elsewhere but only in black.

Look at Cage Creations for correx pre-cut its higher sides than kavee and well scored and shaped. I would also recommend then for the c&c panels. I bought my cage for kavee and it finally arrived last week, dispite being a UK company they ship from overseas, and their customer service is dreadful. I will never do business with them again and I'm not swapping out a bunch of my panels from them with cage creations ones. Oh and my earlier post where I said I emailed them asking if the dimensions on the site where the external footprint, to which they replied 'yes' turned out it was internal and the cage therefore doesn't fit on the platform I built properly

Look at Cage Creations for correx pre-cut its higher sides than kavee and well scored and shaped. I would also recommend then for the c&c panels. I bought my cage for kavee and it finally arrived last week, dispite being a UK company they ship from overseas, and their customer service is dreadful. I will never do business with them again and I'm not swapping out a bunch of my panels from them with cage creations ones. Oh and my earlier post where I said I emailed them asking if the dimensions on the site where the external footprint, to which they replied 'yes' turned out it was internal and the cage therefore doesn't fit on the platform I built properly
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of using Cage Creations for the Correx though I think they only supply black (though I'm sure that will be fine). Sorry to hear about the measurement issues must be very frustrating :-(

How much bigger is the Kavee cage than the advertised footprint?
The measurements don't count the cage connectors, so you have to add 2.5cm for each connector. so instead of being 70cm wide for 2 grids its actually 75cm. Luckily I worked the situation out and removed all the connectors from the base and used tie wraps instead. But yeah not ideal, especially when I contacted them and explained I was making a custom fit base for it.

The measurements don't count the cage connectors, so you have to add 2.5cm for each connector. so instead of being 70cm wide for 2 grids its actually 75cm. Luckily I worked the situation out and removed all the connectors from the base and used tie wraps instead. But yeah not ideal, especially when I contacted them and explained I was making a custom fit base for it.
Thank you, that's really helpful - and glad you've been able to find a workaround. I am planning a nearly 3x3 but am limited to 105cm on one side, and will shorten the other side by overlapping to 100cm. The space restrictions are largely driven by it sitting in an alcove. Can you make the structure sufficiently rigid without connectors, by using cable ties? - as I might look to use cable ties most/all of the way round to max the space. Thank you.

If you are looking to use cable ties all the way around I would recommend adding a base with grids which will make it Ridged, the corex will also help but if it were me I would have a base as well if not using connectors.

If you are looking to use cable ties all the way around I would recommend adding a base with grids which will make it Ridged, the corex will also help but if it were me I would have a base as well if not using connectors.
Thanks, a good suggestion. The only problem might be the overlapping panels though, ie the base will not (quite) be a uniform 3x3?

Thanks, a good suggestion. The only problem might be the overlapping panels though, ie the base will not (quite) be a uniform 3x3?

If you use grids as a base then you will have to overlap grids for the base the same as the overlaps on the side so it fits

If you use ties without connectors it helps to keep it rigid if you cable tie the corex to the grids. I used to do this but now put base grids in as it makes it easier to lift the cages to clean behind!

If you use ties without connectors it helps to keep it rigid if you cable tie the corex to the grids. I used to do this but now put base grids in as it makes it easier to lift the cages to clean behind!
Thanks, that's a great idea. I will be standing the cage on plywood so I will see if can get away without adding panels to the base. But let's see!

Back