C&C Cage Assitance! =)

elena

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am planning on building a 4x3 cage for my guinea pigs, but a TWO FLOOR. Because two of them need to be separated. Do you guys have any tips? Do u think it will be steady as a two floor 4x3 or is it better to stick to the traditional 4x2?

And if anyone has one plsss give me building tips! Haha

It would probably be possible but would be more stable as a 4x2.
It also depends on the sex of your piggies. A 4x2 can be too small for a boar pair - a 5x2 is recommended for two boars sharing a cage.

However, a two floor cage is not suitable for separated single piggies. If you have two piggies and they cannot live together, then their cage needs to be side by side so they can fully and constantly interact through the bars. If one piggy lives above the other, then most of their ability to communicate is removed and the piggies will become lonely.

A single piggy will need a 3x2 as a minimum but a 4x2 would be ideal.
Meaning for two piggies to live side by side, then you need either a 6x2 or 8x2 split down the middle

Also consider that a stacked 4x3 cage is wide. When stacked it stands three grids high. Therefore reaching the back edge of a stacked 4x3 can be quite tricky

It would probably be possible but would be more stable as a 4x2.

However, a two floor cage is not suitable for separated single piggies. If you have two piggies and they cannot live together, then their cage needs to be side by side so they can fully and constantly interact through the bars. If one piggy lives above the other, then most of their ability to communicate is removed and the piggies will become lonely
oh yaya I forgot an important part, the reason why I want it to be 4x3 is because, the bottom floor is where the two separated piggies will be living in, the second floor will have two piggies together. So, since, the minimum is 2x3 for one piggie, the two floor cage should be 4x3. But you, I am concerned about the stability!

Also consider that a stacked 4x3 cage is wide. When stacked it stands three grids high. Therefore reaching the back edge of a stacked 4x3 can be quite tricky
I knoww, that part is making me uGhhh too, but the bottom piggies do need the space so if it's possible I guess I would need to make it work =(

If you have the length in the room, then if it was me I would go for a stacked 6x2 rather than a 4x3. That way, the bottom two can have a 2x3 each, and the top pair have a 6x2.

if you have to do it as a 4x3 then that is fine space wise for both the pair and the two singles, but it just means you’re going to have to make sure you use a lot of horizontal support poles under the top cage.

If you have the length in the room, then if it was me I would go for a stacked 6x2 rather than a 4x3. That way, the bottom two can have a 2x3 each, and the top pair have a 6x2.

if you have to do it as a 4x3 then that is fine space wise for both the pair and the two singles, but it just means you’re going to have to make sure you use a lot of horizontal support poles under the top cag
Thank
it looks like it, otherwise it will start falling in the middle =)

if you have to do it as a 4x3 then that is fine space wise for both the pair and the two singles, but it just means you’re going to have to make sure you use a lot of horizontal support poles under the top cage.
Thank u ! Sadly I do not have enough space for it to be 6x2 only in width =( But yea! It looks like I will have to use a lot of support, otherwise its gonna fall

Are the future penthouse residents sows or boars? And what about the ground floor ones?

In terms of support, you could use pieces of wood. I used to have mine indoors in a 2x5 c&c. For more stability, I passed two long pieces of wood lengthways through the grid below the top floor. I placed them roughly in the middle of the grids. With a 4x3 I would consider a piece of wood for each grid when it comes to the width.

Back