C and C cages

Hazz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping to adopt a pair of guinea pigs just awaiting landlord approval. From research it seems that c and c cages are ideal for me. I was hoping to build it myself to save money and have found quite a few cheap options on Amazon. But looking at the Kavee cages site it specifies that their cages are non toxic. I'm aware that the guinea pigs may nibble their cages a bit so I'm concerned that if I buy the cheap options on Amazon they may pose a health risk. Is that something I need to consider?

I use these grids without any issues, and I'd recommend them. I don't have bar biters, but not every pig will gnaw on them and even if they are you're more likely to run into issues with their teeth than from them possibly ingesting something from the bars.

I also use the songmics grids from Amazon with no issues. They have several variations with different amounts and types of grids, my original set up started with what was advertised as a dog cage. I have 5x2 with 2 full levels for my boys, I got some door grids from cage creations and the set up cost roughly £75 without correx. Cage creations are worth looking at if you are still concerned as they are cheaper than kavee, they do correx bases too but only in black. Well done for doing your homework before committing to getting piggies.

I get my corex from a plastic company amari plastics. They have stores nationwide. I buy 4mm.

Alternatively wicks sell 2mm but I would double it up

I have Songmics grids from Amazon and a 4mm thick correx base with 16cm sides. I have used various correx suppliers - all the same product. Both boys are bar biters and one is a correx nibbler so I use ordinary plastic file binders to prevent too much nibbling. I cut the correx side low in front of one grid which I open so they can easily get out for free run time. This is the only grid they bar bite 😂

I also have a Songmics cage, but no bar biters. ;)
I also wonder if it would be allowed to be sold if it were toxic. With these tricks, Kavee is probably trying to sell their overpriced cages anyway.

Back