Buy one, get one free hutch insulation board...

KHBz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The trouble is, it is a case of: buy one rather expensive High Sleeper Bed in order to get one DIY insulation board ...

We have just put together a High Sleeper, bought by my parents for my nephew, which was packed in thick corrugated cardboard with 2cm-thick blocks of polystyrene, just begging to be used for guinea pigs. As we had made their hutch extension during the first lockdown, and on a £0 budget, we had used every scrap of everything that we had to hand. This meant that the insulation was just a thin sheet of polystyrene (that had protected a cheap mirror) fitted into the cavity between the two thin panels that formed each wall. So, as the piggies live in the shed for most of the year, this extra insulation can now sit right up against the outside of the hutch. I hope it makes a difference. The first photo shows the polystyrene already glued to one sheet of cardboard which has been folded over. A second sheet now covers the exposed polystyrene, turning it into a 3.5cm-thick panel. There is more flat-pack furniture to come, so, yay, another free insulation board for the other wall!

My whole family, parents, husband, sister, daughters, think I am totally bonkers. My 13-year-old who is rapidly heading for an A* in Taking-the-Mickey-out-of-her-Mother, said, with a very serious expression, 'I am glad you have found something to do with your life.'

It did say on the cardboard packaging, 'retain for re-use'. So I was only doing as I was told and following the full instructions involved in the assembly of that bed.
slsad_zps8ee09934.gif

And the piggies still won't give me piggy kisses.

IMG_1524.jpg IMG_1530.jpg

Back