Burrowing underneath their bedding

AnnaMC24

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I have two Guinea pigs and they have fleece bedding (which they love) and they have just started to burrow underneath the fleece. I don’t want them to do that cause I use puppy pads underneath them and I don’t want them to chew them up. Plus when they are underneath the fleece they dump their food and mess up their environment. I have tried to use cloth pins to tie the fleece off so they can’t get underneath but they find way around that. How do I stop them from doing it while keeping the fleece as their bedding. They also have lots of toys they play with so idk if it’s related to boredom or not.

Hi fellow Hoosier!

My piggies did that to me too. I had to put something heavy on the corners to keep them from burrowing under the fleece liners. I also put pee/potty pads in the spots where they really love to burrow; they would end up going under the pee pad instead of the fleece. Fleece hideys also seemed to satisfy their burrowing needs.

If that doesn't work, I know some members on here use blinder clips to clip the fleece to the cage bars. Best of luck with your piggies!

The fleece I use is big enough that it hangs down around the coroplast on the outside and I tuck it under the base. There is no possible entry point this way and the weight of the entire cage is enough to prevent the piggies from lifting it. I think your best bet would be to go to a fabric store and get it custom cut or find fabric online that allows for enough overhang to be tucked under the cage. I don't believe it is related to boredom, I think piggies just love to get into things and crawl under stuff. I sometimes put a small blanket in my piggies cage and they love to burrow and crawl around under there, maybe that is something you can do once you get the bedding issue sorted.

I’m not sure what type of cage you have. My girls were in a c&c and liked to burrow. So I clipped the fleece to the grids. With the smaller one, I folded it and tucked it between the grids and the correx then clipped it down. I gave them hides and a doll bed which they liked to be under.

😂😂😂 I feel your pain. Mine loves to get under the fleece. I have a piece large enough to pull up the sides and I use lots and lots of safety pins to keep it in place. It’s annoying. When Timmy was alive they would pull it together and then Jenny would hold it whilst Timmy slipped in and she would follow. Nightmare.

Back