burgess excel nuggets: mint or blackcurrant?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
to anyone who uses burgess nuggets, what flavour do your piggies prefer? originally i had bought my girls a bag of mint nuggets to ween them off of their current food, however they won’t touch them! the most they’ve done is put them in their mouths and spat them out lol. i’ve read from a few people that their pigs aren’t too keen on mint and prefer the blackberry nuggets, so i’ve bought a bag! should i just start over tomorrow with the transferring nuggets slowly over the next few weeks, not putting in any mint? what if they don’t like these either, did you find you need to try a few until they found one they liked?

The girls were in the blackcurrant one…if I remember correctly.

Start the slow weaning using the blackcurrant tomorrow. You may have to persist a little longer though. They can be pretty stubborn 🙄 just work on adding the new and reducing the old. Good luck!

PS I didn’t try them on many to find ones they liked. The boys changed easily to harringtons (after burgess & excel). The girls were tougher nuts as it took a while longer for them to make the switch. However, when I started mixing in the selective science, they ate them straight away. In fact I think Chanel prefers them to Harringtons. I’d better buy another bag next month

The girls were in the blackcurrant one…if I remember correctly.

Start the slow weaning using the blackcurrant tomorrow. You may have to persist a little longer though. They can be pretty stubborn 🙄 just work on adding the new and reducing the old. Good luck!

PS I didn’t try them on many to find ones they liked. The boys changed easily to harringtons (after burgess & excel). The girls were tougher nuts as it took a while longer for them to make the switch. However, when I started mixing in the selective science, they ate them straight away. In fact I think Chanel prefers them to Harringtons. I’d better buy another bag next month

thanks! so just stop the mint and re-start with blackcurrant? i was getting slightly worried that over time they wouldn’t be eating enough as obviously putting less and less of the original food in, they where only eating that! okay thanks so much! ill try them on blackcurrant for a few weeks and then have a look at at harringtons or selective science if they’re still being stubborn lol!

As the formula between blackcurrant and mint is pretty much the same, you don’t have to be quite as careful when swapping from one to the next.
When changing from one brand to another, you do it slowly - 90% old food, 10% new food. Then a few days later 70% old food, 30% new food and so on.

Dont forget though that pellets are only 5% of the daily food so if they don’t eat them, then it’s not a huge problem. You could give some forage in pellets place and keep trying with pellets until you find one they like.

I don’t use them for the piggies so much now, but my piggies liked both the mint and the blackcurrant. Mine only get pellets about three times a week and I use 100% grass pellets from Haybox now.
My rabbits have the mint burgess bunny version though

As the formula between blackcurrant and mint is pretty much the same, you don’t have to be quite as careful when swapping from one to the next.
When changing from one brand to another, you do it slowly - 90% old food, 10% new food. Then a few days later 70% old food, 30% new food and so on.

Dont forget though that pellets are only 5% of the daily food so if they don’t eat them, then it’s not a huge problem. You could give some forage in pellets place and keep trying with pellets until you find one they like.

I don’t use them for the piggies so much now, but my piggies liked both the mint and the blackcurrant. Mine only get pellets about three times a week and I use 100% grass pellets from Haybox now.
My rabbits have the mint burgess bunny version though

fabulous thanks! yeah i was just worrying as i know pellets contain Vit C, i suppose they get peppers everyday which counts towards that too! thanks for the other recommendation!

Yes all veg contains some vit c in varying levels, but so does hay and fresh grass

of corse! they’ve got unlimited hay and iv started putting a handful of grass in the hutch a day which they love! need to go back over the ‘introduction to grass’ page so i can see when i can increase the amount!

Back