Burgess Excel - Indoor

Doragon

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good Evening everyone!

I’m just asking for opinions - I’m currently feeding Gus, my 7month old skinny pig, Burgess Excel nuggets (mint version) and science selective hay and of course, his veggies! He does really great on the hay, so no worries there, but I saw Burgess brought out an indoor version! Burgess is my go to so I was really excited about it.

I’m wondering if anyone has any opinions on this food? Since Gus has a much faster metabolism, he eats a lot more than the average piggy. I’m assuming the indoor nuggets could possibly be made with a lighter calorie per say in mind?

If anyone has tried this food or has any opinions, please let me know! I’m considering keeping Gus on what he’s currently being fed for tbh extra energy for his higher needs, but definitely open to thoughts :)

If you compare the ingredients and nutrition - the indoor ones are very slightly higher in fibre BUT the indoor ones are cereal based (so a lot of owners would want to avoid that on that basis) whereas they normal mint ones are grass based.
I also notice that it’s a smaller bag (1.5kg vs the 2kg for the normal ones) for the same price.
I wonder whether this is a bit of a gimmick….

I used them for a while, mine absolutely loved it! The indoor formula is apparently designed to combat stress, according to a webinar posted on the forum at some point. They're also not alfalfa based so are more suitable to older piggies or those with bladder issues, they didn't impact my IC pigs as much as most pellets do. If I fed pellets more regularly and had a smaller number of pigs I'd probably feed them more :)

Mine love them and I've not had bladder sludge with my piggies since feeding these. I can't find an ingredients list on the bag in English but I know I saw it before. I thought they were hay based, they do contain wheat but what is more important to me is they don't contain soy. A very experienced piggie vet told me a few years ago she was convinced soy was a contributary cause of bladder issues, she didn't see a big problem with wheat whereas soy contains oxelates. I buy mine from viovet, much cheaper than from Burgess own site!
My favourite nuggets for best ingrediants are Verselle Laga Cavia Complete which don't contain wheat or soy. I can't always get these on line as they are often out of stock so I needed a soy free back up.

I used them for a while, mine absolutely loved it! The indoor formula is apparently designed to combat stress, according to a webinar posted on the forum at some point. They're also not alfalfa based so are more suitable to older piggies or those with bladder issues, they didn't impact my IC pigs as much as most pellets do. If I fed pellets more regularly and had a smaller number of pigs I'd probably feed them more :)
They contain L-Tryptophan which is the magic ingrediant in recovery foods to help relieve stress. It says on the bag it's a serotonin precursor.

I assumed they might also have added Vitamin D?
But they aren't brand I can get here so I have no idea really.

I assumed they might also have added Vitamin D?
But they aren't brand I can get here so I have no idea really.
Found the additives list! The print is so small I had to go and find my strongest glasses. Vit A, D3, C, zinc, copper, Iodene, Selenium, Amino Acids, L-Tryptohan, beneficial fibre. Calcium is 0.7, Phosphorus 0.6.
I think that's the main ones, anyone want more I'll look in the morning in daylight. :))

i have some of these,mine are taking a while to eat them.i do swap pellets reguarly so mine do not get fixated on one pellet.these are more stress relieving for indoor piggies.i like versa laga pellets best,get a 8kg bag regularly.

JR Farm were a big hit with mine but I've not been able to find them here at a sensible price since Brexit. Thought I would mention them incase of interest to our members in other Countries.

Back