• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bumblefoot 🙄

thedosboys

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So for awhile I've been noticing a red spot on my boy Manny' foot. It has been there since I got him.

But just this week I realized it could be an infection.

Right now I can't get veterinarian care but I've read that soaking the foot in warm water and Epsom salt and then wrap it and do that for a couple weeks.

He also likes to sleep in their litter box which they actually use which could be a cause

I'm wondering if anyone got and tips or anything.

The reason why I put the emoji is because as a new guinea pig owner I thought the red spot was like a callous on the foot, and the adoption center said nothing about it. And I'm just NOW realizing that its an infection.

Any tips?

Could you attach a photo of the affected area?
I'd be very wary of trying any home remedies without a vet's approval- it could make things worse.

You really need to see a vet as it maybe infected.its a very painful condition.
I've got a case of bumble foot on the back feet.my puggie is booked in at the vet.

:agr:

Bumblefoot is an open sores and inflammation on the foot pad. It is painful.
A red area on the foot without any soreness may not be anything to worry about - piggies can have red feet without there being an issue.
You mention a callous - skin growths on the side of the foot (not on the pad) are usually foot spurs, they are harmless and need to be left alone (if anything does need to be done with them due to catching, then a vet needs to do it due to the bleeding that can occur if they are cut/caught).

Showing a picture could help us to help you but you will definitely need to see a vet if the area is open wounds and inflammation.
Bumblefoot can be tricky to treat but can also require painkillers and antibiotics (so you can’t treat it without a vet anyway) and extensive cage care.

Please dont start soaking feet unless you have a vet diagnosed need to do so. Soaking feet if your piggy does not infact have bumblefoot will risk causing bumblefoot by making the skin too soft which can then cause cracks in the skin and let the bacteria in. (The skin on piggy feet needs to be tough to protect them)

Back