Bum Baths And Brushing

EmilyC

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All

I've just given Acorn a bum bath and he usually hates being brushed around his bottom. I invested in a Tangle Teezer and its amazing. He never stressed at all and I even managed to cut the knot out of his fur.

Very pleased and hopefully he's a happier piggy :)

x

Oooo may have to invest in one myself then for Betsy. Where did you get it from?

oooo that might be a winner for Donald too... I have 3 different brushes and a comb for him... he tolerates two more than the others but still doesn't like it

Might have to invest for my Mavis. I trimmed her bum fur this evening and noticed it's a little mucky. No idea where to start with bum baths (any tips appreciated!) but feel she would benefit. I'll see how she is in the next few days with a trimmed bum. This picture is her not happy face when she figured out she had to do something for me before getting a treat.

IMG_20180125_165329.webp

Oooh that's a good idea. Max is usually pretty good when I have to manage his bum hair, but anything that makes it less stressful is good. I also use conditioner when I wash him which helps with the knots

My piggies all have medium to long fur so I've always got to keep on top of trimming. Even so two of my piggies still seem to get a bit mucky with pee. I've just been wiping them gently with warm cloths and drying them thoroughly. They are far from impressed with me brushing them. Especially Giggles. She has really frizzy fur so I have to brush her every few days. I'm sure I see laser beams coming from her cute little eyes. I'll definetely look into that brush you recommended :)

I've been using Waterwipes - baby wipes made of 99% water, 1% fruit extract for a bum wipe, my guys hate it but it helps keep them clean between baths. I also keep the long haired ones trimmed right down. Doesn't look great, but at least they're comfortable.

What are tangle teasers?

My girls don't seem to mind brushing at all. They don't like it if there's a tangle, of course, but in general, they're quite happy to sit there and be pampered! Marigold also handled her bum bath like a champ - she didn't particularly enjoy it, but she didn't fight us, either! Elvira hasn't needed one yet, and she's a bit twitchier, so I'm nervous for that time to come. :xd: I wonder if there are tangle teasers in the US... I'll have to check it out!

B&M do a cheaper version too

What are tangle teasers?
Tangle Teezers (that's the correct spelling of the branded ones) are human-intended brushes for hair prone to knotting. It has long and short teeth, made from erm, a plasticky material? silicone? Not sure but not like normal brush material. They don't have a handle, you hold what would be the head, making them very adaptable for pets!

In the U.K. you’ll get a cheap version for under a pound in savers and home bargains.

Great tips, thanks all. I have my first ever long haired piggy. I have benefited from a tangle teaser at the hairdressers but never thought of getting one for the piggies. I will get one at Home Bargains. Love how much we can all learn from each other on this forum.

Great idea! I'll need to get one for Bobby and Bailey. I gave them a full bath a few weeks ago, as they really needed it, but I had wanted to get them trusting me first (I've had them about three months now). Since I bathed them, neither of them have had a tangle or a bit of matting. I used the Gorgeous Guineas Posh 'n' go. They are also super shiny when they've just been brushed.

B&M do a cheaper version too

Tangle Teezers (that's the correct spelling of the branded ones) are human-intended brushes for hair prone to knotting. It has long and short teeth, made from erm, a plasticky material? silicone? Not sure but not like normal brush material. They don't have a handle, you hold what would be the head, making them very adaptable for pets!
I have one for my hair, and it’s especially good to use when my hairs wet. They’re excellent but because teeth are all plastic, I find a light touch is needed as it can sometimes feel like it’s digging in/ scraping a bit. Maybe I have a sensitive scalp though. Xx

Back