Bullying

Lovelypigys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive had to separate my two males, they are in a 6x2 that I’ve split with a divider so that they each have a 3x2. The oldest male is CONSTANTLY chasing the other one from food and hides so much so that he’s usually hiding in a hammock, I feel so bad that they’ll be all alone for now. But I’ve found scabs on my youngest and I don’t want him getting injured again. I’m trying to convince my mom to let me get the boys neutered and one put in with my two females and get the other a girlfriend but she’s reluctant because of the cost of getting a 5th, we’re also struggling with money right now so I’m not sure where I’ll get the $500 for the procedures.
Does anyone that lives in BC, Canada know a good vet for the neutering, I’m nervous about the procedure?

Any suggestions? Thank you 😊

Attachments

• 43F2CEC8-47B1-4438-A1A7-746E48EED0C0.webp
    43F2CEC8-47B1-4438-A1A7-746E48EED0C0.webp
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 6814EF39-01DA-4235-B5E7-DBCF1859E22E.webp
    6814EF39-01DA-4235-B5E7-DBCF1859E22E.webp
    106.1 KB · Views: 10
  • D6609662-454F-41E2-A6D8-252B814ED43C.webp
    D6609662-454F-41E2-A6D8-252B814ED43C.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 8
  • A501AA36-615E-4EDA-BD29-5FDBE8896336.webp
    A501AA36-615E-4EDA-BD29-5FDBE8896336.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 8
I’m sorry your boys have fallen out. Unfortunately I can understand your mum not wanting to get any more piggies, even the one. I think if you’re struggling at the moment then hold of neutering them.

They will be okay to live side by side for the moment.

How long have they been living next to the sows and how old are they?

I live in BC too and I don’t trust the vets down here either. My boys don’t get along too. It’s sad to see them separated. Also, I live in Chilliwack and I go to Mr. Pets for mini bales of Timothy hay of 60 lbs that’s in not dusty for $30. Mr. Pets are all over the lower main land. It lasts my 5 Guinea pigs 2 1/2 months. Take care

I’m sorry your boys have fallen out. Unfortunately I can understand your mum not wanting to get any more piggies, even the one. I think if you’re struggling at the moment then hold of neutering them.

They will be okay to live side by side for the moment.

How long have they been living next to the sows and how old are they?
They’ve been living next to my girls since the very beginning, the chasing has just been getting worse recently. The oldest is about 4 years old and thé youngest is I think 1 1/2 years old

I live in BC too and I don’t trust the vets down here either. My boys don’t get along too. It’s sad to see them separated. Also, I live in Chilliwack and I go to Mr. Pets for mini bales of Timothy hay of 60 lbs that’s in not dusty for $30. Mr. Pets are all over the lower main land. It lasts my 5 Guinea pigs 2 1/2 months. Take care
Thank you! I’ll let my mom know about Mr. Pets

They’ve been living next to my girls since the very beginning, the chasing has just been getting worse recently. The oldest is about 4 years old and thé youngest is I think 1 1/2 years old

So how long have the boys actually been together?
(Is it since the youngest was a little baby etc?)
How long have they been around the girls?

So how long have the boys actually been together?
(Is it since the youngest was a little baby etc?)
How long have they been around the girls?
They’ve been together for a little over a year, they where introduced when Chandler (the youngest) was 3-4 weeks old. Skyler (oldest) was bought along with pumpkin (oldest female) and have been housed near each other ever since, only recently though have they been raised onto a table beside the girls.

They’ve been together for a little over a year, they where introduced when Chandler (the youngest) was 3-4 weeks old. Skyler (oldest) was bought along with pumpkin (oldest female) and have been housed near each other ever since, only recently though have they been raised onto a table beside the girls.

If the issues started when you raised them beside the girls then it is likely the reason. Its advised that bonded boys need to be away from sow scents and ideally kept at different levels (with the sows at the bottom ideally) if they need to be in the same room.
If they were previously at a different height to the girls then that would have protected them from their scent a little more and may explain why they were previously ok. Moving them alongside has given them more direct access to the scent and, as I say if it happened about the same time, then it is likely the cause.

If the issues started when you raised them beside the girls then it is likely the reason. Its advised that bonded boys need to be away from sow scents and ideally kept at different levels (with the sows at the bottom ideally) if they need to be in the same room.
If they were previously at a different height to the girls then that would have protectEd them from their scent a little more. Moving them alongside has given them more direct access to the scent.
Thank you, the oldest has always chased the youngest like that, I am just now noticing the scabs. My mom and I are planning to get them neutered and put in with girls in separate cages. We just have to save up some money and check in with our vet to see how many Guinea pig neutering they’ve done.

Thank you, the oldest has always chased the youngest like that, I am just now noticing the scabs. My mom and I are planning to get them neutered and put in with girls in separate cages. We just have to save up some money and check in with our vet to see how many Guinea pig neutering they’ve done.

Chasing is a normal behaviour. It’s more concerning if you are finding scabs though. As I said, if it coincides with the cage being moved up level with the girls then it is possible doing so has upset their bond.

They can live perfectly happily separated but side by side If you can’t neuter them.

Back