Bullying sow after 4 years

Leanneelif

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice on an issue I'm having with my 2 almost 4 year old sows.
We recently moved them into a c&c cage, and had no issues with moving them at first. Both were happy with the extra space. Time has passed and they were both happy.
However, they seem to have had some kind of falling out, and last night the more timid sow started to run away from the other, and was being forced to stay in her house in the loft, away from food and water.
I've removed the loft, and there has been no fighting, and they are both now eating and drinking, but the more timid sow seems to be skittish and jumping every time the other moves and they are at totally different ends of the cage.
There does seem to be a dominance issue, as the other is putting her nose in the air a lot, but she's not chasing or really interested in the other sow at all.
I'm worried about separating them, as they have always got on well, and only had each other for company.
Both seem healthy, although I'm watching the timid one for stress. No injuries, eating well, just a dominance play as far as I can tell, could be related to the new cage, but as a fair amount of time has passed I'm not sure.
Any ideas/advice?

:wel: And sorry to hear your girls are having problems.

Moving territory will cause them reestablish their relationship so initially you can see increased dominance. How long ago did you change their cage?
Sometimes, territory change can brjng issues between them to the surface and break a bond. It is more likely to happen in boars but i don’t suppose that means it won’t or can’t happen in sows.

Keep up with the routine weight checks to be sure they are both still eating well. Sows can be more underhand about bullying and it can be harder to spot than in boars who are more likely to just have an outright fight.

The guide below may help further

Bonds In Trouble

Sometimes you can notice a change in behaviour where there is a health issue brewing. It may be a coincidence surrounding the timing of a new cage, so if you have any concerns about weight inconsistencies etc then do see a vet.

:wel: And sorry to hear your girls are having problems.

Moving territory will cause them reestablish their relationship so initially you can see increased dominance. How long ago did you change their cage?
Sometimes, territory change can brjng issues between them to the surface and break a bond. It is more likely to happen in boars but i don’t suppose that means it won’t or can’t happen in sows.

Keep up with the routine weight checks to be sure they are both still eating well. Sows can be more underhand about bullying and it can be harder to spot than in boars who are more likely to just have an outright fight.

The guide below may help further

Bonds In Trouble

Sometimes you can notice a change in behaviour where there is a health issue brewing. It may be a coincidence surrounding the timing of a new cage, so if you have any concerns about weight inconsistencies etc then do see a vet.
Thank you for your reply. It has been about 3 weeks since we changed them over, and initially there was a little rumble-strutting and snaps, but we seemed to have passed that phase. I used the same bedding, so it was only the cage itself that changed.
I am watching them like a hawk, and making sure they are both eating. I really hope we can pass this stage as separating them will be heartbreaking. I think I will take them to the vet for a check, but vets here in Turkey aren't particularly experienced in treating small animals, and other than a possible cyst in the aggressor, I can't really see any signs of illness.
Thank you so much. Your input is really appreciated.

It may be that you need to do a trial separation for a few days and then a neutral territory reintroduction. That will give the timid one the chance to ‘say’ whether she wants to be back with her companion or not.
Don’t forget you cannot judge hay intake by watching them, you need those weight checks.

It may be that you need to do a trial separation for a few days and then a neutral territory reintroduction. That will give the timid one the chance to ‘say’ whether she wants to be back with her companion or not.
Don’t forget you cannot judge hay intake by watching them, you need those weight checks.
Thank you for your advice. I will switch to daily weighing rather than weekly. Today they seem to have shared the space quite well, just avoided each other really. I read the thread mentioned above, and am thinking of separating the cage down the middle so that they can still be next to each other, but separated to see if they want each other's company.

It is a possibility and the OP did mention the possibility of a cyst in the aggressor.

Back