Bullying Guinea Pig

Isabela

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

so I have two 5 months old guinea pigs, females. One is always bullying the other one. The other one screams and is afraid of her, but she doesn't have any marks on her. The ''more dominant one'' jumps at her and tries to scare her. Can you help me? Are they in this time of the year?

Is it constant or just happening for a few days. The squeals are usually squeals of submission from the less dominant pig. It's important to weigh your guineas at least once a week but more if you feel there might be an issue. High weight loss is usually the first sign. Do your girls ever cuddle up to each other/share hides etc?

There are several useful links on this guide about behaviours, dominance and sow behaviour which should help you see whether they are ok. Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

My youngest sow has been with me for about 6 months now and she still squeals in submission a fair amount. She is a very vocal pig though, a noisy walker and squeals at being picked up and having nails clipped etc

There are several useful links on this guide about behaviours, dominance and sow behaviour which should help you see whether they are ok. Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

My youngest sow has been with me for about 6 months now and she still squeals in submission a fair amount. She is a very vocal pig though, a noisy walker and squeals at being picked up and having nails clipped etc

Thank you for your reply. This is happening everyday. The ''more dominant pig'' seems to enjoy doing this. But just yesterday the ''less dominant piggy'' decided to stand up for herself and did a lot dominance dances and shaked her butt at the other one and was very satisfied but the things didn't change. The ''less dominant one'' has the lower floor and the ''more dominant one'' has both floors and food and water upstairs too. The ''less dominant one'' can't come upstairs because the ''more dominant one'' gets really angry and starts jumping at her. They are both happy and are popcorning and exercising and begging for food together. Let me just say that the ''more dominant one'' isn't doing any (seen) harm to the other one, but she knows that she's in charge and loves scaring the other one. They are not cuddling together, just laying somewhat next to each other, when the ''more dominant one'' decides to. And yes the ''less dominant one'' is a bit loud and likes to talk to herself and is vocal.

And I forgot to mention that they are currently getting treatment from mites.

Hello,

so I have two 5 months old guinea pigs, females. One is always bullying the other one. The other one screams and is afraid of her, but she doesn't have any marks on her. The ''more dominant one'' jumps at her and tries to scare her. Can you help me? Are they in this time of the year?

What you are noticing is dominance behaviour and submission screaming (which is NOT from pain). Your girls are currently in the teeange months when hormones can run high and seasons (roughly every two weeks) can be strong.

Please have a read of these guides here, so you can understand what it going on and then on that basis decide whether it is just a strong season or whether it is a real case of intentional bullying.
Sow Behaviour
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

The discomfort from mange mites can make piggies additionally grouchier.

Thank you for your reply also. Since this has been going on for a while (few weeks) me and them are getting really tired of this :) I've already read these articles but I'll read them again, thank you both very much :)

Back