• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

bulging eye

cookie182662

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya, took guinea pig to the emergency vet yesterday after realising one is is bulging and the guinea pig has lost 240 grams over two weeks. the vet said it’s a tumour and the options are either surgery to remove or pts. the eye didn’t push in at all when the vet pushed suggesting there is something behind it.
anyone have any other similar situations or have any other options other than the above two?

Sorry to hear about your boy. Can I ask how old he is and how long his eye appears to have been bulging?

I’ve not had a piggy with a bulging eye but I’m sure someone will be along soon to tell you about their experience. There have been members whose piggies did have to have eyes removed due to a tumour, but none I’ve heard had to be PTS.

With regards to the weight loss, please do step in and start syringe feeding him. 240g over two weeks is a lot to lose. Switch to weighing him once a day (mornings are best). He’s losing weight because he hasn’t been eating enough hay.

You are aiming to help him at least maintain his weight so you need to give40-60ml in a 24 hour period. You can offer on a spoon, in a syringe or in a bowl. Have a read of the guides below. One does have pictures and a video to show you how to do it.

You will have to be persistent if he’s a little resistant. I hope he does get sorted soon and starts to gets better.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

the problem is she is eating and drinking normally and has plenty of hay always. the vet seems to think the tumour is taking energy etc away from the body causing the weight loss so even critical care would not help with that. she is 2 years old and noticed the bulging yesterday evening just before we took her to the emergency vet.

thanks for the advice and help :)

I’m sorry to hear that.

Is the vet certain it’s a tumour?
We have had many cases on here of retrobulbar abscesses. They seem to be the main cause of bulging eyes.

If there is something causing pain in her face ie if it is an abscess then that can impact her ability to chew so she may not be eating as much hay as is necessary or as it seems (you can’t judge hay intake by eye in any event)

It's more likely to be a retrobulbar abscess (abscess behind eye). This doesn't have to be a death sentence. In some cases, it can be resolved without enucleation (eye removal), but if the eye does need to be removed, guinea pigs cope very well with one eye. I have had a number of guinea pigs with retrobulbar abscesses, in my care and all have done really well. The vet we use is the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic, in Northampton. You aren't too far away, so it might be worth getting an appointment with Simon or Kim Maddock.

I lost Phoebe to a tumour behind her eye last year.
Her first symptom was a head tilt.
The vet explored the possibility of a retrobulbar abscess but it became clear that she had a tumour.
In the end we decided on palliative care and she passed away peacefully at home with her cage mates.
It’s a horrible time when you first get the news but don’t worry too much yet.
Hopefully it is an abscess and can be treated.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

Sorry to hear your piggy isn't well! I'd definitely get a second opinion, there's a good chance it could be an abscess!

I also highly recommend Kim and Simon at C&R

One of mine had on and off dental issues for months, that other vets could not figure out. That turned out to be a retrobulbar abscess and as it erupted, it looked like his eye was bulging (about to be pushed out of his skull). A full course of antibiotics thankfully corrected it and so we managed to avoid surgery (enucleation)

I spent 1000s with other vets that were ready to put him to sleep; and then I found Kim and Simon who managed to get him right and he went on to live happily.

Back