Building some bits for my boys!

CherryCoke_x

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys! I hope you are all well :D

I am sitting with little to do today, and I thought I would plan and maybe build a new wooden hay tray for my boys to play in, and maybe a little hidey house :luv:
My question is about adhesive when building.

From doing a bit of a search through posts, I have seen a couple of options of either Elmers glue or a cornstarch/flour and water mix. Holding pieces of wood together, I am unsure if the cornstarch will work - does anyone know how strong it holds when used? My other option is screwing it, but I am really unsure of this too.

My boys don't really chew the log huts they have very often (they are in my profile pic), but I am not willing to "risk it", so thanks for any advice!

The wood I am using is plywood, as I have seen it used before, but if it needs covering I will do that (I think I probably will with it not being great with liquid)

Thank you, guys, I really hope I can work something out for them - I think they'll love a deeper pile of hay to roll in, haha

If it was me I would just use screws. Plain wood is best but my boys have eaten about half of their hutch (which is coloured and treated in god knows what) and they’re fine so it hopefully shouldn’t cause your pigs any issue.

I’ve never heard of cornstarch glue before but from a search it seems to work the same as normal glue but with, obviously, less additives so maybe give it a try and see how you get on?

Good luck, you’ll have to show us how it turns out!

If it was me I would just use screws. Plain wood is best but my boys have eaten about half of their hutch (which is coloured and treated in god knows what) and they’re fine so it hopefully shouldn’t cause your pigs any issue.

I’ve never heard of cornstarch glue before but from a search it seems to work the same as normal glue but with, obviously, less additives so maybe give it a try and see how you get on?

Good luck, you’ll have to show us how it turns out!
Thank you! Yes I will :D I haven't done anything yet, I want to be sure I am happy with the wood, but I have so many plans 😂 x

Back