Building Hutches

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Does anyone have any hutch building tips. Every cage/hutch i’ve owned until now has been homemade or second hand so I have never actually made one up.

Is there a knack to it? Maybe a place best to start from. I don’t have anything on tomorrow so I hope to get it all set up for Saturday (if i’m lucky!)

My dad has made several hutches (and runs) for me - Built all the necessary frames (hutch itself and door frames), then cladding for sides (potential here to insulate and then ply line internally when you do it yourself) the hutch and door, put wire on the door. Marine ply for the floor and roof with good quality felt. Paint it all etc.

It can work out more expensive to get the all the necessary wood and wire than to buy a hutch but of course the benefit is it can all be customized.

My dad has made several hutches (and runs) for me - Built all the necessary frames (hutch itself and door frames), then cladding for sides (potential here to insulate and then ply line internally when you do it yourself) the hutch and door, put wire on the door. Marine ply for the floor and roof with good quality felt. Paint it all etc.

It can work out more expensive to get the all the necessary wood and wire than to buy a hutch but of course the benefit is it can all be customized.
Oh, I wish I was creative enough to make my own. I’m very lucky to have a welder of a granda haha.

I was wondering about a store bought one, I linked it in a previous thread I think. It probably comes with instructions but I wasn’t sure if there were any ‘hacks’ for it.

Oh, I wish I was creative enough to make my own. I’m very lucky to have a welder of a granda haha.

I was wondering about a store bought one, I linked it in a previous thread I think. It probably comes with instructions but I wasn’t sure if there were any ‘hacks’ for it.

Oh I see building a flat pack one!
There are no hacks - like any flat pack its fiddly. It’ll take two of you - someone to hold it and someone to screw the screws in. You’ll just have to follow the usually useless picture instructions, and hope the predrilled holes actually line up!

Oh I see building a flat pack one!
There are no hacks - like any flat pack its fiddly. It’ll take two of you - someone to hold it and someone to screw the screws in. You’ll just have to follow the usually useless picture instructions, and hope the predrilled holes actually line up!
Yeah, sorry I should have made it clearer.

I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed for a somewhat smooth ‘build’ then!

Yeah, sorry I should have made it clearer.

I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed for a somewhat smooth ‘build’ then!

Ive never had one that won’t go together (I’ve had some when ive opened the box it’s been damaged), but sometimes some juggling and a few choice words have been needed!

I would stay though, don’t screw any screw tightly to begin with. Tighten it enough to hold it together but not too tight that you can’t push and pull a little!

Ive never had one that won’t go together (I’ve had some when ive opened the box it’s been damaged), but sometimes some juggling and a few choice words have been needed!

I would stay though, don’t screw any screw tightly to begin with. Tighten it enough to hold it together but not too tight that you can’t push and pull a little!
It’s arrived! It’s covered in like the tiny fibre glass, so i’m going to give it a good brush down before assembling tomorrow!

The hutch is really quite stinky, wether it’s the paint/stain they put on it or whatever.

Would wiping it down with vinegar and water ruin the wood by any chance? I just want to get the initial manufacturing stench off of it, especially as my pigs will be locked in the garage with it overnight.

Its not made up yet.

I will give it a chance to air out but would giving it a wipe down do any good?

I wouldn't piggies are very sensitive to smells. If you can smell it, it will be a lot worse for a piggie.

Sorry the hutch isn't in such good condition as you'd like.

My only tip for building a hutch is, if you are putting in a correx or other waterproof liner, cut it to size and shape before starting to build the hutch. I didn't, and then had the devil's own job of trying to work out how I should cut the correx, and then fitting it in! 🤪😅

Also, try to do it on a nice level floor. Mine has some uneven joints which the supplier said was due to the ground not being flat on which I built it.

Sorry the hutch isn't in such good condition as you'd like.

My only tip for building a hutch is, if you are putting in a correx or other waterproof liner, cut it to size and shape before starting to build the hutch. I didn't, and then had the devil's own job of trying to work out how I should cut the correx, and then fitting it in! 🤪😅

Also, try to do it on a nice level floor. Mine has some uneven joints which the supplier said was due to the ground not being flat on which I built it.
Sorry, just reread and realised you said it is new. I saw "stinky" and thought it must be second-hand... Maybe phone the supplier/manufacturer and ask what the smell is, if it is safe for immediate use by your piggies.

It’s been moved into a shed for the night where hopefully it will get some air, I was too scared to leave it in the garage with the doors closed as it was so strong it might have killed them.

I’ll open the shed door early tomorrow morning and give it a good wipe down aswell and hopefully it won’t be too “pungent” so I can get started on it tomorrow afternoon or if needed Saturday!

They (the parts of the hutch) have been out getting some air since early this morning. I wonder if wiping them down with hot soapy water would help get rid of the white fibreglass looking bits, as I trialed some diluted vinegar and all it did was take of the paint/stain and not help with the smell at all.

I honestly have never worried before. I’ve never found the smell to hang around for long once it’s built

If the bits bother you I would give it a dry brush off and see if they will come off. If not giving it a wash won't hurt, hutches are designed to be outside so getting wet won't hurt it. At least it will dry quickly in this weather.

If the bits bother you I would give it a dry brush off and see if they will come off. If not giving it a wash won't hurt, hutches are designed to be outside so getting wet won't hurt it. At least it will dry quickly in this weather.
Thanks, I’m just worried they’ll hurt my boys as i’m not actually sure what the lingering ‘mess’ is made of.

I am very thankful it’s a nice sunny day so hopefully the hutch will dry quickly!

Post pictures if you are worried. I’m assuming it’s not just bits of polystyrene.

Thanks, I’m just worried they’ll hurt my boys as i’m not actually sure what the lingering ‘mess’ is made of.

I am very thankful it’s a nice sunny day so hopefully the hutch will dry quickly!
Can you take a photo of the fuzzy stuff that's bothering you? I remember when I got my hutch there were bits of expanded polystyrene floating around that had broken off the main bits, but I wouldn't expect to find anything that looked like 'fibreglass' as a packaging material.
Have you tried asking the suppliers about it?

:agr:

Me neither. Any run or hutch I’ve had has only come in cardboard and polystyrene. Certainly nothing that wouldn’t just brush off. It’s highly unlikely to be a problem

In all honesty i don’t really know what it was, that was just the closest thing I could think of.

I tried to brush it last night with no avail, but I’ve given it a quick wipe with some warm soapy water and I feel better about so!

Now it’s time to get onto the construction, keep your fingers crossed for me 🔨

Back