Bugs on soft accessories

ratatellie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I ordered a cuddle tunnel online for my girls and added it to their cage when it arrived just now. They were both interested and ran through it a couple of times but after about five minutes I noticed a tiny bug crawling out! I removed the tunnel immediately and examined it more closely and found four or five of the same tiny bugs - they were around 3-4mm and from looking at pictures I suspect they're carpet beetles but I'm not 100% sure. My question now is what do I do next? The tunnel itself is wrapped up in a plastic bag and I've thrown it outside into the cold to hopefully kill anything off. I couldn't see any of the bugs on their cage and I've changed their fleece to be on the safe side. But do I need to do anything else to make sure the piggies are okay?
Also if I leave the tunnel outside overnight (it'll be -3 tonight!) and then run it through the wash at a higher temperature, do you think it will be okay or should I just throw it out altogether?

I've just read an article,it's best to wash any items at high temp in washing machine.Hoover regularly around area item may have been.The article also suggested to clean any hard surface areas with vinegar solution.
If you are concerned you have a breakout of pests,to contact the professionals.Not that I think you are at this stage.
Good luck,I would just cleaning cage,and items in hot wash.maybe let the person who makes the item what you have found.

Back