Bugs in hay

millie1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!
So a couple of days ago I noticed that a few tiny insects were scuttling across my floor - they were near my box of orchard hay but didnt think much of it. But today I went to open a bag of Timothy hay and I noticed insects inside of the bag waiting to crawl out! I think they were the same type or very similar.

Does anyone know what type of insect they are, and if they cause harm to the guinea pigs? The first pic is a zoomed in version (sorry it's blurry they are so tiny) and the second one is for size reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20240705_184123.webp
    IMG_20240705_184123.webp
    54.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240712_141011.webp
    IMG_20240712_141011.webp
    135.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for your reply! I googled them and they do look pretty similar, but I think they are a little bigger. Their middle section appears slightly longer too. I also found out that booklice don't harm piggies which is a relief. If they are booklice/something similar then i don't think they will cause much bother to the guinea pigs, but still annoying nonetheless! Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply! I googled them and they do look pretty similar, but I think they are a little bigger. Their middle section appears slightly longer too. I also found out that booklice don't harm piggies which is a relief. If they are booklice/something similar then i don't think they will cause much bother to the guinea pigs, but still annoying nonetheless! Thanks again!
They are different sizes and also different colours depending on how mature they are.

If you have a haybox that are in the same room, if you open the flaps at the bottom they are likely in there if you have them. I ended up buying hay in plastic instead because they kept infecting the hay.

They probably are that then! They did appear to come from my haybox. I haven't seen any since, fortunately!

Thank you for the help!

Back