• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

bubbles

• Thread starter Thread starter tawny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tawny

well i took bubbles to vets this morning at 8.30 :-\ all worried about leaving her to be put under to have her teeth done.

since Friday when last at vets bubbles has started to eat her dried food and all veges. she will only eat when encouraged out on the floor. i still have to feed her water which she enjoys and wants. still won't eat hay.

i told the vet this and he has decided to send her home for a couple of days and see if she improves. both of the vets she's seen don't think her teeth are that bad but it was the only thing they could think was causing her to stop eating.

I'm relieved cause I'm not convinced it is her teeth and this gives me a chance to try and feed her up now she is eating.

when in cage she hides away, when on floor she goes under table but eats away great. she isn't gaining weight but hasn't got any lower. she is still bunny hopping around but at good speed.

anyone got any ideas what could be wrong? got some liquid feed for her now , to give her as well as her veg and told to give her grass as she won't touch the hay.

I don't know love, i'm not convinced about the toofie thing, they sooo can hide problems from us unfortunately :(
Brilliant news that she wants and eats her greens etc.... keep up the good work Bubbles :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
If she shows any funny signs about toofies go straight to the vets love it's the best thing to do :)
Good luck will have our paws crossed for you :smitten: :smitten:

bubbles2.jpg

here is a pic of bubbles as asked for earlier by k. in this photo she weighed 1209g and now she is 947g

awwww. I have no idea hun. Like Glynis said they are good at hiding problems :(

You are doing marvellous work with her. Maybe you can get in touch with a rodentologist?

Good luck

bubbles is due back at vets tomoro night, then they will decide what to do. still can't get her to eat in cage all she does is hide away. was gonna give her vit c, how many drops would i put in a syringe of water? any ideas of how i can build her up before tomoro night :-\

How old is Bubbles? We had a pig, Sophie, who just stopped eating last year. We took her to the vets and were told her teeth were a little bit overgrown so she had the op to have them filed down but she still didn't eat. In the end, we were feeding her build-up food through a syringe but she hated it. I have to say that in the end I think it was just old age with her - she was 6.

not sure on her breed but think she is an english crest but she does have a glossy coat. she is 19 months old. she will eat the build up food herself and is now eating veg and dryed food but only when i get her out of cage and tempt her.

it's really weird, as soon as she goes back in cage she lyes down in house and doesn't move. she's out on floor now eating away. her weight is a problem she isn't putting any on.

i really don't think it is her teeth

could you not set up a tempory house like a c&c cage in the corner of the room and see if it makes any difference to how she is behaving? I know it may sound drastic but I would be curious to see if she behaves differently.

maisy not drastic atall, it's what we have planned sort of ;) bringing in the spare cage i have tonight, gonna set it up near the others so she can hear them but put her in on her own so i can monitor her and what she's eating.

i find it strange that she won't touch hay but is eating everything else now.

now she's sitting here holding her right front leg of the floor, it's all so weird. wish i could figure it out.

the vets keep checking her out but she doesn't seem to be in pain.if she has satin in her what problems would this cause

thanks for info, just printing it off ;) don't think she is a satin but you never know what their mix is.

tawny said:
bubbles is due back at vets tomoro night, then they will decide what to do. still can't get her to eat in cage all she does is hide away. was gonna give her vit c, how many drops would i put in a syringe of water? any ideas of how i can build her up before tomoro night :-\

I haven't a clue about drops but i used to give Lottie half of a 60mg Vit C tablet per day.  I'd put it to one side of her mouth towards the back, if i got it in the right place she'd happily chew on it, if not she'd spit it back at me & i'd try again   :)

From the photo Bubbles looks like a satin (do you have another photo you could post showing her from another angle or in natural daylight ?) It is sometimes difficult to see the satinisation in dark colours. If she is a satin, the symptoms of difficulty in eating, weight loss and 'bunny hopping' would be typical of a disease called ‘osteodystrophy’ that can affect satins (it is an inability to metabolise calcium, possibly caused by diseased kidneys).

In very serious cases these symptoms can begin at 6-8 months. In other cases a satin may live to old age with no symptoms at all or the symptoms may be indistinguishable from normal signs of ageing. How old is Bubbles ?

There is a lot of information on the internet about 'OD' so perhaps you could search out a few articles or forum posts and print it out to show your vet (but bear in mind that, like everything else on the internet, there is a mixture of fact and fiction out there).
A diet rich in vitamin C and calcium may help relieve some of Bubbles' symptoms.

bubbles is 19 months old, will try and get another photo over the weekend, she is an american crest from what i can work out, could it be she has satin in her? no good with breeds

Another pigture would be good. For Osteodystrophy you can give pain killers- Meadow Sweet Syrup is good in the earlier stages followed by Rimadyl when things progress, but if their teeth/jaw has 'gone' (and it is Osteodystrophy) then I put them sleep. I don't believe in keeping animals alive when there is no chance of them getting better. But you must decide when the cut off point is and I would definitely go and see a Rodentologist first. Even if she is a Satin you need to investigate all the other possibilities, it doesn't have to be OD just because she's Satin!

In short bear Osteodystrophy in mind but don't rule everything else out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back