Brushing Our Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!
My female guinea pig will not let anyone brush her without making a huge fuss! She doesn't like her back end being touched with the brush and even if she is brushed gently, she still doesn't sit still. She will squeak and squeal lots as if she is in pain. She is long haired and we have just about managed to keep on top of her mats.She is fine when being trimmed however. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to make her any better? When we first got her, she was a baby and had bad skin as she had been bitten by her brothers and sisters. her skin is all better now but could this make a difference?
Thanks!

Hello

Welcome to the forum. Changed the title for you :)

Could I ask you to add your location to your profile as we have members all over the world.

Has she always reacted like this? I would advise a quick check over of her skin for flaking or any skin problem just to be on the safe side.

If that proves fine then I would suggest trimming her bum fur as short as possible carefully. When trimming always have you fingers closest to the pig and scissors the other side so you cant nick them accidentally if they move. Our first long haired girl hated brushing so we kept her bum fur short. Also try distracting with parsley or coriander - bribery helps

Welcome again
Lee

My long-haired pigs all disliked brushing (and I'm just using a slicker brush, it's quite soft and not pulling.) In addition, Linney used to hate to have her hair trimmed even though no one ever nicked her with the scissors. Hadley seems to not mind the cuts so much. I trim their hair shorter so there is less to tangle, and then give them a carrot and do a quick once-over with slicker brush every couple days. At least the food keeps them distracted, though I still probably get the odd squeal and dirty look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back