Brushing Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Zu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've read everything in the beginners guide to guinea pigs and everything here but I feel like I've missed anything about brushing guinea pigs fur. I might have tried to absorb to much info at once and just didn't retain that bit! Anyway, I have a question about brushing piggie fur.

For the record, I don't own Guinea pigs yet, and may not be able to. It depends on of the landlords allow a caged animal as we have a no pet policy, and if my husband's mild allergy to cats and dogs extends to guinea pigs. So this is just information for now in case we do get to rescue to lovely guinea pigs :)

I noticed that some guinea have very long fur that looks like it could get matted easily. I've read elsewhere that they need brushing, but how often? Is it once a week? Once a day? As needed? And do short haird guinea's also need brushing? Do they need to be brushed the se amount? What kind of brushes should be used on guinea pigs?

Sorry, that was a lot! Just wanted to know as ibfont know what kind of guinea's we might be able to rescur someday :)

I have 2 long haired piggies and 2 shirt haired.

I don't find they really get matted, sometimes they do underneath (which I cut out) i brush them every 1-2 days.. I use a small dog brush for them. But for my other 2, once or twice a week with a soft bristle brush.

Good luck with getting them, I'll keep my fingers crossed and it's so nice you are doing all the research beforehand.

I have one girl that has long hair. I brush her every couple of days to try and keep it neat. I keep the hair around her back end shorter to avoid tangles.

I have two short haired guins, two semi long haired guins (swiss) and one long haired (lunkarya).

I brush the short haired and the swiss occasionally, but not because they need it, just because it's fun and they don't seem to hate it! I do have to cut mats out of one of the swisses coats though.

My lunkarya needs brushing every day. I cut her hair as short as I can, but things constantly get stuck in her undercoat. She's a funny one though, and won't let you start on her back, you have to brush around her face first, and then she'll let you do her back! I use a baby brush, a comb and 'small animal brush', whatever I think she needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back