• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bronchitis?

• Thread starter Thread starter spudnik
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spudnik

I noticed Meeka's nose was running this morning,and i held her upto my ear to listen to her breathing and there is a clicking noise..

I read in my peter guerney book it could be bronchitis, but i dont think shes coughing.. ive heard about UTI/URI not sure of the inns and outs as ive never had a guinea pig with one before, so i just wondered if anyone can tell from her symptoms, could that make her lose weight? as shes lost even more today ive been hand feeding her shes down to 430ish grams, shes still eating on her own, shes eating her fresh veg but shes sooo fussy and doesnt eat alot but what she is eating she eats fine so i dont think she has a dental problem as shes biting a chewing fine with no bits falling out, no damp chin or anything.

Ive heard duke coughing a bit the past few days, but i cant hear and clicking/rattling noises when he breathes, he has no runny nose or any other symptoms meeka has.. could he catch it from her, and am i best getting him checked too? I'm going to the vets on monday morning with lois to have her stitches out so I'm going to take meeka with me then.

any help would be great, thanks!

I use a combination of Bisolvon (the veterinary product, not human) and Septrin.

Mary H has had a case of a pig that had a severe reaction to Bisolvon though, not sure what the exact reactions were, it would be useful to know.

That said not all cases require a decongestant- your vet should be able to advise on this.

Sounds like a UTI.Keep her warm and give lots of fluid.As Karen said,Septrin at the dose rate of 0.3 mls per day is the best anti biotic for UTI.

I have used Sudafed,the paedriactric one,for bronchial and allergic breathing problems.I have always have good results with this,and adverse reactions.

I used to use Bisolven but one of my pigs had a bad reaction to it.I had used it previously with no problem and I know other forum members use it.The pig in question started to get very agitated within a short time of having the Bisolven,and had 2 fits in half an hour.He did survive.I o9nly need to get a bad reaction from one pig and I do not use the product again. This particular pig must have had an allergy to something in the product.

hoping meek gets better soon. and that duke is fine too. :smitten: :smitten: we have a piggy jessie, who is 1.6 years old, is a very fussy eater. :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
she is not losing weight but when you put her to your ear she breathes with a click. :-\ :-\ she has no runny nose and doesn't cough. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: she is running around, and is fine down the other end. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:most of our piggies seem to have this click when breathing. petal and rose had it. 0:) 0:) 0:)and so did choloe. 0:) 0:) 0:) sending hug and cuddles to you and your babies and hope all goes well. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:please keep us updated on your babies. :smitten:

I think this needs reporting to the company again Mary, I'm sure there are procedures they should follow for this. Its disgusting your complaint was ignored.

What were the adverse reactions to Sudafed? The only time I use this is for short nosed pigs who ruttle but don't need antibiotics.

i think you've got some great advice from mary and karen there, so i just want to say i hope your little one is better soon :smitten:

Karen,

Thanks for picking up on that slip.I meant to say I have had only good results from Sudafed,and NO adverse reactions.It is only Bisolven I had a problem with,but that was only one piggy.It is too long ago too re report this .I am talikng 10 years or more!.

Thats good, :) if I have a short nose pig (one of mine, not the rescues) then they get Sudafed primarily for ruttling when there is no URI. At the moment I don't have pigs that suffer with this.

A pig with a short nose :) Ruttlingis the term given to the noise they make :)
That said I had a pet pig when I was younger who made the same noise, she was definitely not short nosed and was not ill with it :)

thanks guys.. i took meeka to the vets this morning, the cheapest vet visit ive ever had! i took lois to have her stitches out and meeka came with us, both of them are on antibiotics lois pulled a stitch out of one of her sets, and the other one was an abcess that they took off and still had a tiny bit of puss in so shes left the stitches in except 2 and told me to drain it daily, and she listened to meekas chest/lungs and said she could hear a rattling, but it wasnt harsh or bad.. she said if she gets worse it can cause abcesses inside the lungs or something, so shes given me antibiotics for her, shes losing weight at such a rate she was 403g this morning, ive started to give her critical care every few hours now to try and help her maintain her weight.. shes still eating veg, but i havent seen her eat much hay or dry food,they have 2/3 different ypes of hay everyday and also readigrass i managed to gather a bit of grass that was coming up from my garden and she ate some of that, ive got pro-biotic in their water and ive put a warm water bottle in their cage wrapped up to keep her warm, its not hot just tepid so she can sit on it and keep warm if she wants to.

I'm really worried about her, she doesnt seem herself atm :'(

perhap bring meeka inside where you can watch her more closely and where it is warmer. what is this crictical care? is it available(i doubt it) here in aussie land? as zoe is losing a little weight each day and has soft poops. mind you zoe is till eating. hugs and cuddles to you and meeka and hoping lois leaves her stitches in. :smitten: :smitten:

hiya, meeka does live inside :) lois is living insdie with her atm too so they are sharing a cage.

critical care is available from thistle cavies in the uk, maybe if you email them they could calculate how much it would be to post to you? thats where i get mine from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back