• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Broken Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Looby's come flying out of her hutch, hit the floor face first & has snapped both top front teeth off near the gum & split her lip. I've bathed her lip in salt water & given her 0.2ml of Baytril, should i take her to the vet or do i leave her & keep an eye on her?

I've no experience of broken teeth

What a silly madam! :D ;D

Niki you will have to syringe feed her whilst they grow back in and possibly have the bottom 2 trimmed if they start to grow up quickly. As long the break is fairly clean, they should come back ok, within a week to 10 days you'll never know she'd done it! If you think she's in any discomfort, bonjela for babies will help soothe her mouth around feeding times.

Keep bathing the lip, I shouldn't think she'll need abx unless it gets infected.

Good Luck! O0

Beks said:
What a silly madam! :D ;D

Niki you will have to syringe feed her whilst they grow back in and possibly have the bottom 2 trimmed if they start to grow up quickly. As long the break is fairly clean, they should come back ok, within a week to 10 days you'll never know she'd done it! If you think she's in any discomfort, bonjela for babies will help soothe her mouth around feeding times.

Keep bathing the lip, I shouldn't think she'll need abx unless it gets infected.

Good Luck! O0

Thank you Beks O0
She is a loon, i'd only just put her back after clipping her nails & obviously she ran the wrong way ::)
Blimey they grow quick don't they :o

Blimey they grow quick don't they :o

They do yeah, sometimes you wouldn't even notice they'd done it! ;D

She may eat on her own Niki but I imagine she'll struggle and the syringing will stop the back teeth overgrowing. You may have to 'baton' her veg too so she can suck it in LOL!

Beks said:
Blimey they grow quick don't they  :o   

They do yeah, sometimes you wouldn't even notice they'd done it!  ;D

She may eat on her own Niki but I imagine she'll struggle and the syringing will stop the back teeth overgrowing.  You may have to 'baton' her veg too so she can suck it in LOL!

She's been eating herself & loves P@H Nuggets mushed, she was biting the syringe as if to say "dispense more, dispense more" ;D, I grated the carrot & all other veg is usually chopped small or in batons, i did see her sucking/nibbling on a baton of beetroot  ;D ;D

And i'll be extra careful when i open the doors in future, might have to have a large net handy in case she decides to impersonate a kamikaze pilot again  ::)

LOL! I have a kamikaze pig too ;D ;D

How's she doing Niki? O0

Beks said:
LOL! I have a kamikaze pig too ;D ;D

How's she doing Niki? O0

She's marvellous, you'd never know she'd done anything to them apart from them being a little shorter. :) Aren't piggies amazing :smitten: :smitten:

:o :o :o :'( :'( :'( :'( so sorry i've not been on to help you love (Dee's debutante ball)
You've done everything perfectly O0 :smitten:
Oh Looby you do worry your mummy ::) :D :D :D No more pigobatics sweetie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I have a similar problem with my male piggy Zakky. I think my daughter may have dropped him and now his front teeth seem to have broke almost to the gums. Do you think they will grow back? Should I just leave what is there alone?

I think if theyre almost broken to then gums then a trip to the vet wouldnt go amiss.........

They normally are fully back by 2weeks at the most. I have delt with a couple of times when piggies have decided to jump outta their cages.
Lindsey was the worst, bless him. The top tooth broke of and the other was wobbly so that came out and he had a big cut on his lip.
I used to cut up the food into little cubes and put it into his mouth for the first couple of days, it must have been very sore and after that he fed himself. Within a day or so there was little tiny teeth at the top, remember sometimes the bottom ones will need trimming, due to them having nothing to rub against.

Emma x

pooterleez said:
I have a similar problem with my male piggy Zakky. I think my daughter may have dropped him and now his front teeth seem to have broke almost to the gums. Do you think they will grow back? Should I just leave what is there alone?

They will grow back in a very short time, i syringe fed Looby a few times for a couple of days just incase she couldn't eat her dry food & i chopped her veg up into tiny pieces, by day 3 she was munching fine by herself O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back