• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

broken leg

daisyandsofi2060

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
we were on vacay for like a week or so and his claws got really long . since its summer we take him to the garden for around half an hour to eat some fresh grass but when we put him back in the cage his claw got tangled and he tried pulling the leg for some seconds till I untangled it . Is it probable that he broke his leg? I'm scared and so frustrating since its mostly my mums fault for being so brutal when putting him back . I cant explain how angry I am

I'm afraid the only way to tell for sure would be a vet visit.
Is he weigh bearing on the leg, or limping?
Is he eating, drinking, toileting as normal?
Have you cut his nails?

it all happened like ten minutes ago so I'm taking him to the vet tommorow to trim them but I cant be really sure since he s a fatty and I cant really see his leg

I'm afraid the only way to tell for sure would be a vet visit.
Is he weigh bearing on the leg, or limping?
Is he eating, drinking, toileting as normal?
Have you cut his nails?
it all happened like twenty minutes ago so I'm taking him to the vet tommorow to trim them but I cant be really sure since he s a fatty and I cant really see his leg

So sorry this has happened.
Hopefully the leg isn’t broken but the vet will be able to tell you and give appropriate treatment
is it probable? I dont know how often piggies break their legs so I dont know if its reasonable to be as scared as I am🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️

I don’t know if broken legs are common but feeling scared is a normal reaction.
You love him and are worried for him.
Try to breathe, relax and be reassured that you have a vet appointment tomorrow.
If you are really worried does your vet do emergency appointments so you could go this evening?

I don’t know if broken legs are common but feeling scared is a normal reaction.
You love him and are worried for him.
Try to breathe, relax and be reassured that you have a vet appointment tomorrow.
If you are really worried does your vet do emergency appointments so you could go this evening?
I'm from Romania so its 10 pm for me. I dont know if its that urgent I think I should wait until tommorow at 4:30 pm when he starts taking unscheduled clients . He usually tells us that he gets so annoyed when people call at night because he lives far away and usually it isnt that big of a problem people call for so idk what to do. I'm panicking more and more thinking of what happened and I found a chat. online with xrays and all and seeing how little their bones are I'm pretty concerned. I hope he only has what someone called a greenstick fracture?

Try not to believe everything you read online.
Only your vet can tell you what’s wrong- anything else is guessing.
It’s easy to panic.
Maybe if you called first thing in the morning your vet could fit you in before 4:30, if you explained why you are so worried.
There are plenty of people here who are thinking of you and supporting you.

Have some virtual hugs 🤗 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Try not to believe everything you read online.
Only your vet can tell you what’s wrong- anything else is guessing.
It’s easy to panic.
Maybe if you called first thing in the morning your vet could fit you in before 4:30, if you explained why you are so worried.
There are plenty of people here who are thinking of you and supporting you.

Have some virtual hugs 🤗 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗
thank you so much. I am so so hopeful its a greenstick fracture since everyone that has dealt with one said it heals with only a bandage . Also my guinea pig isnt sleeping in his hideout today. is it a stress thing? is it since he s in pain or overheated or

thank you so much. I am so so hopeful its a greenstick fracture since everyone that has dealt with one said it heals with only a bandage . Also my guinea pig isnt sleeping in his hideout today. is it a stress thing? is it since he s in pain or overheated or

I’m sorry to hear tho is has happened.
I’m afraid we cannot know.

All we can suggest is that you step in with emergency measures (and of course to get to the vet as soon as you can) which is to switch from the routine weekly weight checks and to instead weigh him each morning. This enables closer monitoring of hay intake. A piggy in pain may stop eating enough hay (hay intake cant be monitored by eye so the weight checks are essential) and then you would need to syringe feed.
I hope he is ok

I’m sorry to hear tho is has happened.
I’m afraid we cannot know.

All we can suggest is that you step in with emergency measures (and of course to get to the vet as soon as you can) which is to switch from the routine weekly weight checks and to instead weigh him each morning. This enables closer monitoring of hay intake. A piggy in pain may stop eating enough hay (hay intake cant be monitored by eye so the weight checks are essential) and then you would need to syringe feed.
I hope he is ok

hi again, were taking him to the vet later . He is limping and I called the vet but he said that it s best to see him in person

hi again, were taking him to the vet later . He is limping and I called the vet but he said that it s best to see him in person

I’m glad you can get him seen.
Pleaser do make sure you are weighing him each morning and syringe feeding recovery feed or mushed pellets if he loses weight. As I say, a piggy in pain can reduce the amount of hay they eat due to the pain and then other issues such as loss of gut function can occur

I hope he is ok

How is your piggy today? Hope it's good news!
heyy i haven’t responded cause ive been BUSY with school I'm so sorry! apparently he was faking cause he s on a diet to loose some weight and he wanted more of the unhealthy cereal😭😭😭 the vet made him run around and laughed at him and called him a fatty. All we found out was that he s a drama king🩷🩷🤷‍♀️

How did you get on at the vets?
heyy i haven’t responded cause ive been BUSY with school I'm so sorry! apparently he was faking cause he s on a diet to loose some weight and he wanted more of the unhealthy cereal😭😭😭 the vet made him run around and laughed at him and called him a fatty. All we found out was that he s a drama king🩷🩷🤷‍♀️

Good luck, hoping his leg is not broken 🤞

Back