Bringing New Guinea Pigs Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPcrazy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading and youtubing about how best to care for guinea pigs, and I've seen a lot of videos about how to bond and introduce new guinea pigs to an existing pig or group, but I'm not sure whether that's necessary for first time piggies?

I'm hoping to get a pair of piggies soon, preferably female. If they were housed together previously do I still need to introduce/bond them when I get them home? Or can I put them together into the cage from the beginning? (it will be a brand new cage so no previous gp smells). Also, can I bring them home together in the box/crate, or must I keep them separate for the car journey home?

if they are already living together you can bring them home in the same box and put them straight into their new cage. It is only if introducing strangers that you have to go through bonding,

I've done a lot of reading and youtubing about how best to care for guinea pigs, and I've seen a lot of videos about how to bond and introduce new guinea pigs to an existing pig or group, but I'm not sure whether that's necessary for first time piggies?

I'm hoping to get a pair of piggies soon, preferably female. If they were housed together previously do I still need to introduce/bond them when I get them home? Or can I put them together into the cage from the beginning? (it will be a brand new cage so no previous gp smells). Also, can I bring them home together in the box/crate, or must I keep them separate for the car journey home?

If they are already bonded, you can bring them home in the same carrier and house them together straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back