Bringing New Guinea pig into cage.

jessskaty28

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Guinea pig owner to a 10 month old abyssian Guinea pig we lost her older sister in December and have rescued a 8 month old Californian, I am just looking at some advice in how to bond them! Piggie the older Guinea pig is quite skittish and Bambi our rescue is calm but can be skittish, we have introduced them but piggie has been a little aggressive and confused with the New Guinea pig. They are separated at the moment but I’ve put some teddies in with each of their scent on in their cages. I am wondering if anyone had any advice?

#guineapigbonding #newguineapig #help

I’m sorry for your loss

This guide explains the neutral territory bonding process
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

When you tried to introduce them, did you do so in neutral territory?
What do you mean by aggressive? What behaviours did you see?
Often aggression during bonding is due to fear.

Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Hi, it was teeth chattering and she would seem to sniff her face but chatter them, they are both very timid on their own and Piggie was the submissive Guinea pig when we had our previous Guinea pig Mango she was the dominant. Yes we have a playpen that we bought for these bonding sessions. Brilliant thank you for sending me a link. I am just a bit wary with Piggie reactions. So was unsure if they were not “normal” responses!

Hi, it was teeth chattering and she would seem to sniff her face but chatter them, they are both very timid on their own and Piggie was the submissive Guinea pig when we had our previous Guinea pig Mango she was the dominant. Yes we have a playpen that we bought for these bonding sessions. Brilliant thank you for sending me a link. I am just a bit wary with Piggie reactions. So was unsure if they were not “normal” responses!

Some chattering is entirely normal. Loud chattering can be a warning sign. The guide below explains further.

Bonding is usually a one time event. If you put them together and separate then it means they have to start over from the beginning each time. Bonding is interrupted at each separation.
With sows though, particularly if they are dear aggressive, it can be beneficial to have shorter meetings.

All is the guides I’ve linked in should help you determine what you are seeing

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

The guides linked by @Piggies&buns are very good .
I found them extremely helpful.
Having just bonded 2 pairs I can say that bonding is quite stressful for the humans so when you do bond have something useful at hand - chocolate and coffee work for me!

Hope all goes well for you.

Back