Bringing in a new female

Figgythepiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a female pig whose sister recently passed away. I have been communicating with a rescue about adopting but when we had a meet and greet my pig was aggressive and displayed some male behavior. The rescue suggest I have her spayed and then come back. Does anyone know if this would be a solution? I can’t have her living with a pig that she will just bully constantly.

I’m sorry for your loss.

What do you mean by male behaviour? Dominance behaviours during bonding are totally normal for either sex of piggy. It’s not necessarily bullying or aggression at all.
If she didn’t like the other piggy and they aren’t compatible then they won’t be able to form a bond. A different piggy will need to be tried.

Spaying her for bonding sounds very drastic step to take and is not necessarily going to make any difference at all!
Spaying is a major surgery and not one to be done unless there is a medical need ie if a sow has ovarian cysts.
If the bonding failed because they were not compatible then spaying her isn’t going to make any difference whatsoever.

How old is she? Sometimes no matter how hard you try older sows don’t like new company and prefer their own space. In that case the solution is often to have another piggy living alongside in a separate cage so they can interact between the bars but not have to share territory.
I’m not saying that is going to need to be the solution in your case as we don’t have information about piggy piggy.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

I’m sorry for your loss.

What do you mean by male behaviour? Dominance behaviours during bonding are totally normal for either sex of piggy. It’s not necessarily bullying or aggression at all.
If she didn’t like the other piggy and they aren’t compatible then they won’t be able to form a bond. A different piggy will need to be tried.

Spaying her for bonding sounds very drastic step to take and is not necessarily going to make any difference at all!
Spaying is a major surgery and not one to be done unless there is a medical need ie if a sow has ovarian cysts.
If the bonding failed because they were not compatible then spaying her isn’t going to make any difference whatsoever.

How old is she? Sometimes no matter how hard you try older sows don’t like new company and prefer their own space. In that case the solution is often to have another piggy living alongside in a separate cage so they can interact between the bars but not have to share territory.
I’m not saying that is going to need to be the solution in your case as we don’t have information about piggy piggy.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
She is 3 years old now and was a submissive pig with her sister but now seems to be dominant. She met with 3 different pigs to test compatibility and was aggressive towards all. By male behavior I am referring to rumble-strutting. Something she picked up from her sister. I’m torn because I know Guinea pigs are social and shouldn’t be kept alone but she just isn’t getting along with anyone else.

If it was just rumbling then that isn’t aggression, It’s a mild dominance behaviour.
How long were they together?
What other behaviours did you see?

Have her vet checked for peace of mind, and try her with other piggies.
Trying her with a neutered boar may be a good choice here to try.

Do read the guides as they explain the bonding process and what is normal and what is not.

Thank you this actually helps a lot. She continued her aggression over a period of 15 minutes but there was never any physical attack (hair or blood drawn). The rescue I have been talking to is extremely adamant that I have her spayed but if it isn’t going to change her behavior then I don’t see it as necessary for a healthy 3 year old pig. It was as if they wouldn’t allow me to adopt unless she was spayed

As I say spaying is a major surgery, not something to be taken lightly.
If she has a medical concern and potential cysts then sometimes spaying is needed but to do is just because they think she will get on with other piggies would be drastic.

A potential reason for her behaviour could be fear. If she was taken to a strange environment and met with strange piggies she possibly went on the defensive (again, not aggression) through being scared and out of her comfort zone.

This guide explains further

Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Back