Bringing Home Advice

Powelly78

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted a couple of weeks ago that our two piggies would be coming home Christmas Eve as a surprise for my little girl for Christmas.

After doing my research on the forum, this was probably not the best way to do his but I will have to just do the best I can with the situation.

We are building a 5x2 c&c cage with a 1x2 loft. I am having to get the piggies on Christmas Eve and sneak them into their new home as a surprise on Christmas morning.

We have a lovely renovated cellar and my daughters playroom is down there. We are currrently redecorating it all to make a fab home for the new additions to our family.

My dilemma i suppose is i had the idea of creating the loft area into their kitchen/hay area and then the larger part at the bottom to be fleece with hidey holes and toys etc.

Then I realised, how do I even know if they will go up the ramp or not! They are currently being bonded and don’t live in a cage with a ramp.

I also could do with a bit of advice about the best way to get them out of the carry cage. I thought I would put fleece and hay in it to make them as happy as possible and then maybe coax them out with veggies?

The issue with me doing this as a surprise is for the first day I aren’t going to be able to spend loads of time with them. Is it best to leave them quiet for a few hours anyway?

I just didn’t want to put the food and hay in the bottom and then never be able to get them up the ramp. I’ve never had piggies before but have been researching for weeks and haven’t made the decision lightly.

They are currently being fed Heygates rabbits choice so I have bought the same and have stocked up on Timothy and Meadow hay.

Anyway, I am rambling now ha ha. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Pics just cos they are so cute!

A806D2D8-4345-4418-B620-CE7AC8117B55.webp

614AC6F1-8608-4D1F-B8DC-E5B26110AD69.webp

Hi, and welcome to the forum! You're doing exactly the right thing researching before you have your piggies. As you say, it's not ideal that they are coming on Christmas eve, but it is what it is, so you can only do your best with the situation.
I would suggest putting food and hay both in the loft area and downstairs until you see what they think of a ramp. They're young so they will probably use it as long as it's not too steep, and has good grip for their wee feetsies. One of mine had to be shown, by putting him in the loft and letting him find his way down, but the other two zoomed straight up.
If the carrier is one they can go in and out of by themselves, I would just put it in the cage and let them come out in their own time. Having hay and veggies will soon tempt them, and if there are hideys where they can feel safe, they will probably hide for quite a while.
It is best if you can leave them on their own to settle in, and not pick them up for a couple of weeks except for cleaning etc. Try to keep the area quiet, but get them used to you being around...maybe tempt them to eat some veggies from your hand.
Piggies shouldn't be given rabbit food, as they have totally different nutritional needs. A specific guinea pig pellet should be given.
You may already have been given this link New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner It is really useful for new owners.
I hope it all goes well. X
Edit. Sorry, I meant to say, your piggies are super cute! Have you decided on names yet?

Hello and welcome to the Forum!
@Reenie has covered a lot of the necessary advice.
What age is your daughter? It is important that you become confident first at dealing with the guinea pigs before having a child trying to handle them.
Young piggies can be quite skittish and move very fast so it takes time to get them to settle and find being handled less of a fear. Being prey animals they do tend to run and hide from you,! For the first few days at least, you should approach quietly and talking softly when you approach their cage and just put their food in near them and stand back to watch them. When they venture out to eat just keep chatting away to them. When you are ready to lift them it is best to lift them by using a play tunnel or the nest they are using to hide in. Try and be down at floor level so they can’t jump and fall. Pop a little food in beside them and when they get used to you doing that you can gently stroke them around their cheek area or head. Don’t try going right down the body to the back end for a good while as it’s not their best area for stroking! When you become confident you can gently lift one out to your knee, having a cover of some sort handy as they will want to hide still!
Christmas Day is usually a stressful day for people and animals so it is good you a room away from the noise of the day! Good luck!

Hi, and welcome to the forum! You're doing exactly the right thing researching before you have your piggies. As you say, it's not ideal that they are coming on Christmas eve, but it is what it is, so you can only do your best with the situation.
I would suggest putting food and hay both in the loft area and downstairs until you see what they think of a ramp. They're young so they will probably use it as long as it's not too steep, and has good grip for their wee feetsies. One of mine had to be shown, by putting him in the loft and letting him find his way down, but the other two zoomed straight up.
If the carrier is one they can go in and out of by themselves, I would just put it in the cage and let them come out in their own time. Having hay and veggies will soon tempt them, and if there are hideys where they can feel safe, they will probably hide for quite a while.
It is best if you can leave them on their own to settle in, and not pick them up for a couple of weeks except for cleaning etc. Try to keep the area quiet, but get them used to you being around...maybe tempt them to eat some veggies from your hand.
Piggies shouldn't be given rabbit food, as they have totally different nutritional needs. A specific guinea pig pellet should be given.
You may already have been given this link New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner It is really useful for new owners.
Edit. Sorry, I meant to say, your piggies are super cute! Have you decided on names yet?

Thanks so much for the advice. I have bought little sacs to lift them in as saw that little tip on here.

The food is in one of the threads on here. I think Betsy did the research but may be wrong. It rated well for having everything Guinea Pigs need and was given the thumbs up.

I think the hardest part will be getting my daughter to be patient and not want to cuddle them permanently but she is very sensible and will want to do what’s best for them in the long run. It’s a nice quiet room with two windows so natural light.

This is a learning curve for us both at the moment but I have spent hours on the forum and have done everything I can to prepare properly.

It’s actually quite scary to think that people just get them from a pet shop without doing research as there is so much to think about and consider for them to have a happy home.

No names as yet as I’m sure she will want to pick her own. God knows what they will end up with ha ha.

Xx

Hello and welcome to the Forum!
@Reenie has covered a lot of the necessary advice.
What age is your daughter? It is important that you become confident first at dealing with the guinea pigs before having a child trying to handle them.
Young piggies can be quite skittish and move very fast so it takes time to get them to settle and find being handled less of a fear. Being prey animals they do tend to run and hide from you,! For the first few days at least, you should approach quietly and talking softly when you approach their cage and just put their food in near them and stand back to watch them. When they venture out to eat just keep chatting away to them. When you are ready to lift them it is best to lift them by using a play tunnel or the nest they are using to hide in. Try and be down at floor level so they can’t jump and fall. Pop a little food in beside them and when they get used to you doing that you can gently stroke them around their cheek area or head. Don’t try going right down the body to the back end for a good while as it’s not their best area for stroking! When you become confident you can gently lift one out to your knee, having a cover of some sort handy as they will want to hide still!
Christmas Day is usually a stressful day for people and animals so it is good you a room away from the noise of the day! Good luck!

My daughter is ten but very sensible and she won’t be doing anything without my guidance or support.

The room is nice and quiet so they won’t be distressed.

Snuggle sacks are on the way but will just leave them to settle in for a few days or until we actually have to pick them up.

Thanks so much for the advice. Xx

My daughter is ten but very sensible and she won’t be doing anything without my guidance or support.

The room is nice and quiet so they won’t be distressed.

Snuggle sacks are on the way but will just leave them to settle in for a few days or until we actually have to pick them up.

Thanks so much for the advice. Xx
Your daughter is at the perfect age for learning about small furries.
Snuggle sacks will make it easy to lift them out in!
Please don’t feel too nervous and remember always someone here to ask advice from. No-one will think you are silly no matter what the question is! We’ve all been beginners with piggies but now we are lucky to have the Forum for help and advice never mind the added bonus of lots of photos of other members gorgeous pets!

Thanks so much for the advice. I have bought little sacs to lift them in as saw that little tip on here.

The food is in one of the threads on here. I think Betsy did the research but may be wrong. It rated well for having everything Guinea Pigs need and was given the thumbs up.

I think the hardest part will be getting my daughter to be patient and not want to cuddle them permanently but she is very sensible and will want to do what’s best for them in the long run.

This is a learning curve for us both at the moment but I have spent hours on the forum and have done everything I can to prepare properly.

It’s actually quite scary o
Your daughter is at the perfect age for learning about small furries.
Snuggle sacks will make it easy to lift them out in!
Please don’t feel too nervous and remember always someone here to ask advice from. No-one will think you are silly no matter what the question is! We’ve all been beginners with piggies but now we are lucky to have the Forum for help and advice never mind the added bonus of lots of photos of other members gorgeous pets!
I don’t know what I’d have done without the forum to be honest! I’d be lost xx

Back