Bringing Guinea Pigs Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowstarz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm picking up two guinea pigs on Saturday afternoon from a rescue.they are two sows who have shared a cage for a few months. They are mother and daughter 8 and 4 months old

I'm just wondering whether they would be OK in one carrier or if they would b3 better seperate. I've bought two cardboard portapet carriers. But I thought they might be less stressed together.

Journey is probably about half an hour in the car.

Also what would be good to put in with them to help feel less stressed

I would but lots of hay or bedding that they are used to, if the rescue has some, so they can burrow in it.

sounds like they are still quite young, so if the box/carrier is big enough i would leave them together, if the boxes are on the smaller side maybe have one each, but have a peephole window so that they can still see each other & know their friend is still there for support.
i have a little Wilko carrier that has a mesh screen in the side, all 3 of mine love squishing & going in together -but i know they wont overheat, not going to get too hot in there because of the mesh section.
similar to this Classic Pet Products Mini Carry Care Pet Carrier

i would put an old towel in the bottom of the box to absorb any pee & give them something to grip to instead of slippery cardboard. add a handful of hay & a thick slice/chunk of cucumber each too, that will help them stay hydrated. make sure you check what food they already eat so that you can carry on with this to help settle them in when you get home at first, saves causing stomach upsets.

Congratulations on your new girls & hope to see lots of pics :D

I would give loads of hay and give fave food don't play music or make noise in car

I would keep them together for comfort and support. Moving is quite stressful for them and it will be nice to have each other to cuddle up to.

Thanks for the advice. They aren't huge guinea pigs. Peach stopped growing at 4 months because she was pregnant and Poppy hasn't finished yet. I'm pleased they can travel together. They'll still be scared and have no idea what's happening but at least they'll have each other.

When I brought my rabbit to the vet, I used a large cat carrier and put some fresh hay in it so she could eat or lay down in it, and feel comfortable. (I also fed her lots of treats, and I'm glad I did, because sadly I didn't get to leave with her)
I think they would be more comfortable together. Good luck with your new furry friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back