Breeding boars

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 151640
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 151640

(This is not about wanting to breed, breeding talk is not allowed on this forum due to risks and a large amount of guinea pigs in rescues already.)

The guinea pig rescue we were planning to go through have no pigs that are suitable for us and there is no timeline available so I am willing to look into other avenues.

There is a person on gumtree who is selling babies, so I took a shot and sent them a message about older boars and they have a couple that are kept on their own or with woman for breeding.
What I am wondering is will the fact he has been bred change him, I have a somewhat timid 4 and a 1/2 year old and don't want him to be put with a rowdy boar. I understand it is not likely they will be anything different, I do not have any sows nor do I plan to have any sows. And if anything I think it would be good to get a pig out of such situation.

I am just wondering if there are any risks to him being just a breeding boar, apart from potential health conditions and lack of socialization.

A boar that is used to being used for breeding purposes is very unlikely to be happy about being demoted to living with another boar. I think this would probably not work to be honest, but see what other think
This is what I was worried about, but apparently he just chucks them in with the young ones once he doesn't "need" them.
But I guess there is probably a difference between a random boar and babies/his sons, I might just have to wait it out.

My little man Finley was a breeding boar, when they tried to bond him back to his brother he attacked him very badly, to the point of needing veterinary treatment, once the brother healed she tried again but again, Finley went for him so she put him up for sale. Chances are, unfortunately, unless he's an extremely placid boy that he won't take kindly to sharing with another male at this point. I ended up having Finley castrated and put with girls to be on the safe side, as she was selling him as a "must only be kept alone" kind of situation.

Boars are often used as 'uncles' to babies so they can continue learning life skills, however once they reach a few months old they're often separated so they don't begin to fight.

:agr:

It also doesn’t matter whether the baby boar is their son or not - a boar will usually be willing to take them on a short term teaching basis. They will not want to live with a boar though and in this situation would need to be neutered and bonded back with sows to be able to have a companion again

I’ve never had a breeding boar but I have had a breeding sow. Sadly it scarred her and she wouldn’t except a neutered boar when I tried to introduce one to her and her group of sows. I doubt a breeding boar would be happy living with another boar when he’s been used to living with sows. It’s such a shame as I’m sure he’d have a lovely life with you away from his breeding background 😞

Thanks for your replies, that is what I was worried about and glad I checked here first.
I would love to give them a new home but can't risk my boy getting hurt or unsettling the adopted one.

This was my Carwyn 'Blessed Love' (2012-18; adopted 2015) with his disfigured lip. He was a rescued breeding boar coming out of 1 foot square bare breeding boxes. The badly scarred lip is a result of him being put back with his litter brother.

DSCN3960_edited-2.jpg

Thankfully, I have been able to give him a very happy second half to his life, something that was sadly denied to his dad and his two brothers who all died not long after coming out of that breeding hellhole. Carwyn quite literally didn't know how to run; he only ever managed to do it in short bursts.
When he came here, his only way to express joy was to climb on the back of his mate due to the lack of space he had been living in. It took little baby girl Heini 'Lively', the love of his life, to teach him how to move around more freely.

This was my Carwyn 'Blessed Love' (2012-18; adopted 2015) with his disfigured lip. He was a rescued breeding boar coming out of 1 foot square bare breeding boxes. The badly scarred lip is a result of him being put back with his litter brother after a stint with a sow.

View attachment 223888

Thankfully, I have been able to give him a very happy second half to his life, something that was sadly denied to his dad and his two brothers who all died not long after coming out of that breeding hellhole. Carwyn quite literally didn't know how to run; he only ever managed to do it in short bursts.
When he came here, his only way to express joy was to climb on the back of his mate due to the lack of space he had been living in. It took little baby girl Heini 'Lively', the love of his life, to teach him how to move around more freely.
How amazing you were able to give him a second life, I am really upset that I am not able to help with any of the boars, it hurts my heart knowing what sort of condition they may be in.

What a gorgeous boy I hope he continues to run with the LOHL over the bridge, he deserves it ❤️

How amazing you were able to give him a second life, I am really upset that I am not able to help with any of the boars, it hurts my heart knowing what sort of condition they may be in.

What a gorgeous boy I hope he continues to run with the LOHL over the bridge, he deserves it ❤️

Not all breeder boars will fight but the likelihood is sadly high. Breeding practice cuts right across natural instincts and social cavy behaviour. You will have to have to be able to accommodate each boar singly in case it all goes wrong as the fall-back option. :(

Carwyn was neutered in rescue and was able to live with sows permanently. Unfortunately, the first lady he was bonded to had a spine injury, so his habit of standing with his front legs on her back every time he was excited aggravated that and he had to be sadly returned to the rescue.
He's come all the way from North East Guinea Pig Rescue in Newcastle to the West Midlands for his forever home with me - and he's certainly made up for his lost years with his sheer joy of life in the 3 1/2 years he had with me before he sadly died from a brain tumour. Heini sadly followed him to the Bridge only three months later. When they met, she was only 5 weeks (rescue born) and so small that when he mounted her his front legs were on the ground but it was love on first sniff. Carwyn was one of the more memorable Tribe members and one I'll always remember with a smile.

PS: You can read up on his story in my Tribe Gallery link in my signature where I have listed all my piggies from forum times with a picture and a short story of their life. Here is the link again: Wiebke's Tribe Photo Gallery

Back