Brand New Owner - Need Reassurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloe B

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi I have just got two baby boy piggies. Had them 4 days now. They are terrified of me, I haven't attempted to stroke or handle yet. I am concerned as I am going to have to get them out of their cage to clean them at the end of the week. I literally have no idea how I'm going to go about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't seem to be making any progress with them at all

Hello,
Congrats on your new boys! I have several boys...
because they are prey animals their natural instinct is to hide - until they learn it is safe. then they can become big softies!
Have a look at this video about picking them up - much easier than chasing them around with hands. My boys are all 'sack trained' and jump into their cosie sacks - makes life much easier.
How To Pick Up Your Guinea Pig
I also am a big fan of hand feeding - feed veg from your hands rather than a bowl and the piggies will start to associate your hands with good things ie food. It takes perseverance but really does work.

hi I have just got two baby boy piggies. Had them 4 days now. They are terrified of me, I haven't attempted to stroke or handle yet. I am concerned as I am going to have to get them out of their cage to clean them at the end of the week. I literally have no idea how I'm going to go about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't seem to be making any progress with them at all

Hi and welcome!

There are several guides that deal with the issue of settling in, picking up and making friends with new shy guinea pigs, which you may find most helpful as they comprise a whole range of tips. You can find them with lots of other very useful information for new owners via this link here: " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Hello,
Congrats on your new boys! I have several boys...
because they are prey animals their natural instinct is to hide - until they learn it is safe. then they can become big softies!
Have a look at this video about picking them up - much easier than chasing them around with hands. My boys are all 'sack trained' and jump into their cosie sacks - makes life much easier.
How To Pick Up Your Guinea Pig
I also am a big fan of hand feeding - feed veg from your hands rather than a bowl and the piggies will start to associate your hands with good things ie food. It takes perseverance but really does work.

Thank you, I do hope I can end up
with tame friendly boys. I have been putting my hand in the cage with veg, this morning they both reluctantly snatched food from my fingers and retreated back into their hiding to eat it. This evening I cannot seem to lure them out at all.

That video is helpful, thank you. I do have two similar tubes in my cage, though the Guineas in the video are much larger and slower than my babies. But I may try this, that is if I can get them out of their hidey house and get them in the tube and stay still. They run away with my every movement. Where is the best place to buy a sack from? Or a cosy?

I've had mixed messages about handling them. I have read not to handle at all, start by feeding by hand, then move on to stroking, and finally try picking up. Then I've heard contrary to this to start handling early. I don't know what's right and wrong and I want to do what's best for them. I understand it takes time and patience, I just hope I'm on the right track!

Hi and welcome!

There are several guides that deal with the issue of settling in, picking up and making friends with new shy guinea pigs, which you may find most helpful as they comprise a whole range of tips. You can find them with lots of other very useful information for new owners via this link here: " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Thank you, I will check these out!

Thank you, I do hope I can end up
with tame friendly boys. I have been putting my hand in the cage with veg, this morning they both reluctantly snatched food from my fingers and retreated back into their hiding to eat it. This evening I cannot seem to lure them out at all.

That video is helpful, thank you. I do have two similar tubes in my cage, though the Guineas in the video are much larger and slower than my babies. But I may try this, that is if I can get them out of their hidey house and get them in the tube and stay still. They run away with my every movement. Where is the best place to buy a sack from? Or a cosy?

I've had mixed messages about handling them. I have read not to handle at all, start by feeding by hand, then move on to stroking, and finally try picking up. Then I've heard contrary to this to start handling early. I don't know what's right and wrong and I want to do what's best for them. I understand it takes time and patience, I just hope I'm on the right track!

Hi - Keep going with the hand feeding - it will pay off but it takes a while with young ones. And yes youngsters can be super fast but herding them into something is still less stressful than trying to catch them with hands. Some people use a small pet carrier to herd them into - I just prefer the cozy / sack method for mine.

I get my cozies from Cavy Couture (yes really, it is a whole new world of fleecy things:nod: ) - the sewing seems to withstand the liveliness of my boys! But there are lots of options eg small sellers on ebay etc.

Re handling approach - I prefer the slower way eg gaining their trust before too much stroking but yes there are different schools of thought. And all piggies are different - some grow up to be adults that don't like a lot of fussing and some are completely 'lap' pigs. So be guided in part by your own boys. If you get a cozy / sack thingy you may find that it is easier to first stroke them in it as they cant shoot off your knee as easily! Let us know how it goes.

Hi. Welcome to the forum. I have 4 boars, one of them is 6 months old and I've had him since he was 9 weeks old. He was very shy and skittish. I tried hand feeding and like yours, he was reluctant at first. However now months later, he takes veg from my hand happily. Keep hand feeding going and be persistent. They will get better with it.

I'm of the school of thought that they should be handled regularly. I prefer to pick my guinea pigs up with my hands than using tubes or carriers. I like to have that close contact with them, and if it's done regularly, they seem to accept it and even enjoy it. My adult boars (who are rescues and I got them as adults) all stand still to be picked up now. When I first got them, they were skittish. But lots of lap time, hand feeding and picking up and handling seems to help them settle and be happy in my presence and being held.

With my young boar, I didn't pick him up for a week. I find that picking them up as quickly as you can reduces the stress of chasing them. If you can't catch them quickly, then stop and try again later. He's a lot better now, aged 6 months. He's still a bit tricky to catch but loves lap time and being held.

Again, this is just what I do. I don't know if it would work for your guinea pigs as I've only had 4 boars so I don't have the experience of other owners on this forum.

Hi - Keep going with the hand feeding - it will pay off but it takes a while with young ones. And yes youngsters can be super fast but herding them into something is still less stressful than trying to catch them with hands. Some people use a small pet carrier to herd them into - I just prefer the cozy / sack method for mine.

I get my cozies from Cavy Couture (yes really, it is a whole new world of fleecy things:nod: ) - the sewing seems to withstand the liveliness of my boys! But there are lots of options eg small sellers on ebay etc.

Re handling approach - I prefer the slower way eg gaining their trust before too much stroking but yes there are different schools of thought. And all piggies are different - some grow up to be adults that don't like a lot of fussing and some are completely 'lap' pigs. So be guided in part by your own boys. If you get a cozy / sack thingy you may find that it is easier to first stroke them in it as they cant shoot off your knee as easily! Let us know how it goes.

This is all very reassuring, thank you. I will keep doing what I'm doing and I am less nervous about getting them out for cleaning after seeing that video. Thank you
Oh yes and we need pics of your boys please! When they are not hiding:D

image.webp

They are my boys. Seriously though, with how fast they move I just don't think I'll catch them and I don't want to chase or hurt them in any way. I think I'm going to try tube or cosy and try get them to let me stroke first!

They are so cute! Baby guinea pigs tend to be very skittish- and yeah, they are FAST! It's not abnormal. If picking them up is an issue, I would get a cozy or tube so that you can pick them up stress-free while they still feel that they are hidden. It's probably the easiest way. It's also probably less stressful for them in you allow them some cover when you pat them at first. Hadley (the pig in my avatar pic) used to do best as a baby when we let her hide her head under something while we patted her back. They do warm up fairly quickly and become more sedate as they get older, so hang in there! If it's any consolation, both of the pigs I have now were completely petrified of us as youngsters and both are now really friendly, social pigs. Hadley in particular LOVES people and visibly perks up and will search for any new voice she hears, and she was petrified of us all when we first got her. It's a matter of figuring out that you aren't going to eat them and that you may even have food! Then they will love you! LOL!

@lauraboara

Hi! So I took the advice given in the video about getting them into a tube. My partner had to take house off Chester, the shyer one as he just wasn't coming out after ages and ages of sitting there hand feeding with veg. Chester tried to bite once he put his hands round the tube so he put him down. Got the other one out ok, we decided best to put oven gloves on so they don't try squeeze through fingers or bite as our tubes are big and they are tiny. With Chester my shyer one, he was petrified running about the cage trying to burrow in hay and wouldn't go in tube. We eventually got him out. They both huddled in the same tube in their pen whilst we cleaned them out.

Getting them back in was OK as they stayed in the tube. But they are petrified. I'm worried we have gone about this the wrong way. We ordered a cosy sack thing online but it still hasn't come in the post. I'm scared they will be scared of us now or avoid going into their tubes through negative association. I'm feeling very upset and worried they have lost our trust. I have no idea how I am ever going to be able to handle them. Any advice? Thank you.

it's still early days so, be patient - and don't get disheartened.

You're doing everything right. Just remember - you're trying to reinforce the message "when I pick you up - nothing horrible happens" .

I remember when I 1st had my Guinea Pigs - I was terrified of picking them up as I didn't want to upset them or hurt them. It gets better with time - promise.

Thanks! I also sent this message to the breeder who I bought them from. She has advised me against doing what I have just done, advises to handle regularly, daily and says they were regularly handled before they came to me. Very conflicting information from people and on Internet so it's very difficult to know what is best.

That's exactly how I feel about handling them. I need to be firm apparently but I don't want to hurt them or make them feel threatened!

Thanks! I also sent this message to the breeder who I bought them from. She has advised me against doing what I have just done, advises to handle regularly, daily and says they were regularly handled before they came to me. Very conflicting information from people and on Internet so it's very difficult to know what is best.

That's exactly how I feel about handling them. I need to be firm apparently but I don't want to hurt them or make them feel threatened!

Perhaps assertive would be a better word than firm.

Another piece of advice I was given is, if you start to catch a guinea pig and it runs away, keep trying to catch that one - if you give up and try to catch another one, it reinforces to the guinea pigs that it is worth having a go at running away.

i always teach mine to get into their carrier to be lifted. none have ever liked being lifted straight from the cage so i don't like to make them. they quickly learn to hop into the carrier. use it as a play thing first filled with hay so they know what it is and associate it as theirs and nothing to fear. then it's much easier to lift them out from there and eventually they'll choose to come out and onto the settee :)

I got my piggies as a form of therapy animals (I had/have severe delression) and I remember being in floods of tears because they kept running away from me and hiding all the time. It took some perseverance but they eventually took food off me no problem. They still run away if I try and pick them up but it's much better than it used to be. Once they are curled up on me, they are very happy and often fall asleep. A tip I was given was to make sure there wasn't a hidey hole they could run to - have open sided shelter. It helps them see what's going on and helped bring them out of their shells a little bit. It really helped me with mine (they have plenty of places to hide now)!

Others have said this, but patience and perseverance are key.

Sky now comes to me whenever I'm near their cage to see what I'm doing and hangs around until I go.

@lauraboara

Hi! So I took the advice given in the video about getting them into a tube. My partner had to take house off Chester, the shyer one as he just wasn't coming out after ages and ages of sitting there hand feeding with veg. Chester tried to bite once he put his hands round the tube so he put him down. Got the other one out ok, we decided best to put oven gloves on so they don't try squeeze through fingers or bite as our tubes are big and they are tiny. With Chester my shyer one, he was petrified running about the cage trying to burrow in hay and wouldn't go in tube. We eventually got him out. They both huddled in the same tube in their pen whilst we cleaned them out.

Getting them back in was OK as they stayed in the tube. But they are petrified. I'm worried we have gone about this the wrong way. We ordered a cosy sack thing online but it still hasn't come in the post. I'm scared they will be scared of us now or avoid going into their tubes through negative association. I'm feeling very upset and worried they have lost our trust. I have no idea how I am ever going to be able to handle them. Any advice? Thank you.
Hi, Sorry your first goes were a bit stressful but as others have said - don't be disheartened.
I find it easier with cosy sacks with little ones because they whizz in and can't get out the other end so maybe that will be easier for you also?
Obviously you have had different advice from the breeder but all we can tell you is what we have tried and has worked. I have between 6 to 8 boys at any given time and they have all been sack trained for picking up and seem to find it completely non stressful. I will collect one in a cosy and walk to the run or have a cuddle and leave the second bag/sack in the cage and the remaining pig gets in himself usually! But that doesn't happen in the first week! Please keep having a go and hand feeding veg to and I am sure it will get easier :)

Just another thought as well, the breeder you have spoken to will be super confident and experienced in handling all ages of piggies. You however, are new to this and so are the piggies - so you have to adapt to find something that works for you and your piggies. You have seen that people use tubes, pet carriers, cosy sacks and of course hands and you have to find out what works. Hope it starts to improve!

Don't worry about it so much! With my current housing set up everybody has to change houses at least twice a day (from day to night quarters - run etc) I've had babies to unhandled adults and I just get on and pick them up - I'd be there all year otherwise! One thing that does make me laugh is that they now associate changing cages with fresh food of some sort - so if they get put down and there isn't fresh food around, we get much bigger sulks then than we do about being picked up!
The best thing is not to faff about or chase them about - that will stress them far more than just being picked up.

I got my piggies as a form of therapy animals (I had/have severe delression) and I remember being in floods of tears because they kept running away from me and hiding all the time. It took some perseverance but they eventually took food off me no problem. They still run away if I try and pick them up but it's much better than it used to be. Once they are curled up on me, they are very happy and often fall asleep. A tip I was given was to make sure there wasn't a hidey hole they could run to - have open sided shelter. It helps them see what's going on and helped bring them out of their shells a little bit. It really helped me with mine (they have plenty of places to hide now)!

Others have said this, but patience and perseverance are key.

Sky now comes to me whenever I'm near their cage to see what I'm doing and hangs around until I go.
Thank you! Is it really bad to pick up a hidey when they are in it? The problem I have at the minute is they they literally won't come out of them at all. They don't seem to have been out whilst I've left them alone either, all is very quiet and they are taking less and less veg off me, totally not interested. Perhaps yesterday's events have caused them to loose any trust they built up for me?

Just another thought as well, the breeder you have spoken to will be super confident and experienced in handling all ages of piggies. You however, are new to this and so are the piggies - so you have to adapt to find something that works for you and your piggies. You have seen that people use tubes, pet carriers, cosy sacks and of course hands and you have to find out what works. Hope it starts to improve!

Hello! I have bought a cosy sack and its in the cage but they are not interested. Haven't touched it and we even left they're favourite veg in it but they hadn't been in all night When they won't come out of their hideys then I can't even attempt to pick them up, without lifting the hidey and chasing, which I don't want to do. Then again I've heard that everyone has to chase piggies to pick up and it's normal.

And yes, it's easy for an experienced breeder to tell me I need more confidence. I do want to try and pick up by hand but it is daunting especially now I've seen their teeth when they yawn haha!

I can't use hay as bait to get them into a cosy like people have suggested, because their entire cage is already covered in hay, I don't put piles in I just lay it all on top of the bedding. They seemed a bit more lively mid week, but they have really gone into their shells I feel like I'm going backwards with them.

If I put off handling for even longer, will it make things worse?

Don't worry about it so much! With my current housing set up everybody has to change houses at least twice a day (from day to night quarters - run etc) I've had babies to unhandled adults and I just get on and pick them up - I'd be there all year otherwise! One thing that does make me laugh is that they now associate changing cages with fresh food of some sort - so if they get put down and there isn't fresh food around, we get much bigger sulks then than we do about being picked up!
The best thing is not to faff about or chase them about - that will stress them far more than just being picked up.
I'm hearing some people say don't chase them, others saying once you start chasing don't give up on that pig cause they learn they can get away from you, then I've heard others saying everyone chases pigs to pick up, they will always run from you so you have choice.

They're currently both hiding for a change and not interested in me. Would it be completely wrong of me to lift their hidey a little, nudge them out, and attempt to catch, or should I be waiting for them to come out? I'm spending large amounts of time just sitting by the cage trying to talk quietly and get them out, to no avail.

I see your point - I guess we need to quality the word chase! If mine dart to the other side of the hutch as I put my hands in, yes I just follow them and pick them up on that side - but I think the thing is to actually just do it, just pick them up = what I mean not to do is take ten minutes following them around the hutch because you don't want to worry them = that will worry them!

I see your point - I guess we need to quality the word chase! If mine dart to the other side of the hutch as I put my hands in, yes I just follow them and pick them up on that side - but I think the thing is to actually just do it, just pick them up = what I mean not to do is take ten minutes following them around the hutch because you don't want to worry them = that will worry them!
Ok thank you. Well last night I tried for the first time to pick one up when he came out of his hidey. I only tried for about 15 seconds and then gave up as he ran into hidey. They are just TOO fast, faster than my reflexes so I can move to block them off fast enough. I literally have barely seen him since, and he's the more confident of the two.

Before I got these Guineas, I went to see a friend who has just got a Guinea. She put him on my lap and he literally didn't budge an inch. He sat there for an hour, placid as anything while I ran my fingers through his long coat. I based this visit on whether a Guinea would be right for me, and I decided yes. I was NOT expecting this aspect of having them to be so difficult. I just want a quick a cuddle.

I'm not sure of your location Chloe B - are you in the UK?

You are getting good advice on this thread ( and the person you got your guinea pigs from) . There is nothing "black and white" about how to handle guinea pigs . They all have different personalities - as do their owners. Please don't get confused about "conflicting advice" - as long as you are not rough with them you are doing no wrong.

The reason I asked your location is, when I 1st got guinea pigs , I got a lot of good advice from this forum BUT - what really helped me was that I attended a guinea pig care class at a local rescue . I was wondering if there was anything like that locally to you.

Also, could you talk to your friend and see whether she remembers when she 1st got guinea pigs? It might be useful to see what they were like when she 1st got them .

I'm not sure of your location Chloe B - are you in the UK?

You are getting good advice on this thread ( and the person you got your guinea pigs from) . There is nothing "black and white" about how to handle guinea pigs . They all have different personalities - as do their owners. Please don't get confused about "conflicting advice" - as long as you are not rough with them you are doing no wrong.

The reason I asked your location is, when I 1st got guinea pigs , I got a lot of good advice from this forum BUT - what really helped me was that I attended a guinea pig care class at a local rescue . I was wondering if there was anything like that locally to you.

Also, could you talk to your friend and see whether she remembers when she 1st got guinea pigs? It might be useful to see what they were like when she 1st got them .
It's a friend of a friend, I don't know her as such but she kindly let me in to check him out. She got him off a friend who no longer wanted him. Not sure how old he is or anything but she had only had him a few days at the time I visited, and she takes him to her mums house and stuff! Now from what I've been told, transporting them is really stressful. Maybe she is blessed to have a particularly calm pig.

I am based in North Yorkshire in the uk. That sounds interesting.

Yes I have had some brilliant advice, both from all the lovely people on this forum and also from the breeder.

I am just especially worried about them now as they are showing barely any sign of life and not poking their heads out when I offer veg. I hope they are not poorly or anything!

I am just especially worried about them now as they are showing barely any sign of life and not poking their heads out when I offer veg. I hope they are not poorly or anything!

It is perfectly normal for guineas to rest during the day and stay in their hideys. Mine are the most active during the morning and evening.

Don't worry if they don't come out for veg all the time.

What are they doing now?

It is perfectly normal for guineas to rest during the day and stay in their hideys. Mine are the most active during the morning and evening.

Don't worry if they don't come out for veg all the time.

What are they doing now?
They are both in a hidey each. Not moving. Normally I have noticed they are quiet first thing in a morning but take veg from hand by just sticking their nose out. Obviously usually at working during the day in the week but then at tea time we come in with more veg and they are often quiet/hidden at first but one of them normally comes out for a run about and comes the the front of the cage, but still runs for cover when one of us moves. The other one rarely comes out and just sticks his nose out enough to grab a treat then straight back undercover.

What's weird about this weekend is that normally, when we leave them alone, within 20 minutes they're out and about, eating any treats we left down for them, can hear them using water bottle, and their food bowl goes down. Today it appears they have not moved. Nugget bowl still full (can always see a hollow where they have munched), no new poop in the cage anywhere (again another sign they have been out). I'm so worried about them I know they're still settling in but as I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back