Bran.

Clarestorm

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have been advised to give my Guinea's bran every other day. I have looked in all obvious places online & cannot find any bran for my Gunieas. Please could you advise me what brand is best & where can i order from?
Many Thanks 😊

Hi, I have been advised to give my Guinea's bran every other day. I have looked in all obvious places online & cannot find any bran for my Gunieas. Please could you advise me what brand is best & where can i order from?

Many Thanks 😊

Please do not give your piggy bran. Who advised you to do so and what was their reason?

They get their fibre from their main staple of hay 🙂

I

Please do not give your piggy bran. Who advised you to do so and what was their reason?

I’ve only given my piggies bran once but that’s because I had a poorly one and was trying to fatten her up after she lost quite a lot of weight. I bought mine from Holland and Barrett but as already mentioned, piggies should be getting their main fibre source from fresh hay which is making up 80% of their diet

Perhaps you could give us a bit of background to your situation and why you’ve been advised to use it?

A little bit of wheat bran or oats can be used to help keep weight on older/poorly piggies.

I believe you can buy bran from a health food shop (although it’s not something I’ve ever looked for).

I know @Eriathwen has used it also for older/poorly piggies.

Perhaps you could give us a bit of background to your situation and why you’ve been advised to use it?

A little bit of wheat bran or oats can be used to help keep weight on older/poorly piggies.

I believe you can buy bran from a health food shop (although it’s not something I’ve ever looked for).

I know @Eriathwen has used it also for older/poorly piggies.
Thank you for your replies. The breeder i got my piggies from advised me to give them a small bowl of bran every other day. My piggies are now 18 months old. The breeder gave me over a years worth of bran & i have just ran out. Do you think I should stop them having bran immediately or wean them off? I didn't question the breeder because he has been breeding for 40 plus years and his piggies looked beautiful. Could this harm my guineas?

tthing

Hi, The breeder i got my Gunieas from. He said a little every other day helps

H
use i couldn't find any it might not be the done

Thank you for your replies. The breeder i got my piggies from advised me to give them a small bowl of bran every other day. My piggies are now 18 months old. The breeder gave me over a years worth of bran & i have just ran out. Do you think I should stop them having bran immediately or wean them off? I didn't question the breeder because he has been breeding for 40 plus years and his piggies looked beautiful. Could this harm my guineas?

I offer mine wheatbran from time to time, I've used small bags from Holland and Barrett before but currently I use the dodsen and horrell brand? It's a bulk bag for horses anyway but it's the same stuff.

You need to be careful though as they absolutely love it, however it doesn't contain the type of fibre they need for dental and gut health, they need long fibre hay for that. So, similarly to pellets, if you over feed they'll choose it over hay and you'll end up with overweight animals with poor dental and gut health. It's good to offer when an animal needs help adding a little weight but as its quite high in carbs, it should ideally be avoided in poorly pigs having digestive issues. Otherwise you're just feeding bad bacteria in the guts that will make matters worse.

I’ve just seen what I think is your reply about your piggies being 18 months old and the breeder having told you to give bran.

As eriathwen has said the bran won’t hurt them but the breeder has not given you very good advice in telling you to feed it. Definitely stop giving it - it is not something young, healthy piggies should be eating

Back