Boys Paired Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggies4life

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would really like to have boy pigs but do they fight ? I don't want to buy 2 boy then they fight then I have to seperate them and bond them with different pigs because that would be hard as I have never owned pigs before so please help THANKS !!

Boys are more dominant but that doesn't mean they will all hate each other. I suggest getting a pair from a rescue, this way you can be sure they are bonded and should get on. Guinea pigs will fall out from time to time but unless it is very violent (blood) then they don't need separated. At around 6-10 months ( or there about, someone will correct me if I'm wrong ) they are hormonal and will fight over who is boss but many pairs get through this. Pairs slightly older than this are easy to find in rescues. What helps with dominance behaviour is a large cage, the bigger the better! It gives them more space to get away from each other if they need to. Also having two of things (hay racks, water bottles etc. ) can prevent fights. Boys aren't always bad, and girls can fight to. What's important is that they are bonded.

Hi! Which country are you in? Here in Britain, we have got several good guinea pig rescues that rehome only well bonded and healthy guinea pigs. I can also give you some names for the US and Australia, but not every state has got a good rescue. If you only have got access to baby boars, you have to face the risk that their personalities may turn out incompatible when the testosterone hits between 4-14 months old while they are both going through the same unstable phase. The key to a boar bond is character compatibility.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

If you are worried about fall-outs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for an adult pair of boars that is past their teenage hormones and generally much more stable. Alternatively, if you can find one, you could consider a neutered boar/sow pairing - they are the most stable of all pairings and you still get at least one boy! ;)
This thread here discusses the pros and cons of each possible pairing; you may find it helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/

With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful when exchanging experiences or trying to give suitable advice and recommendation if you added your country, state or (for the UK) your county/general area, so we can take the particulars of your location into consideration. You can do so by clicking on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details, then location. If you are a minor, please only add your country.

Boys are more dominant but that doesn't mean they will all hate each other. I suggest getting a pair from a rescue, this way you can be sure they are bonded and should get on. Guinea pigs will fall out from time to time but unless it is very violent (blood) then they don't need separated. At around 6-10 months ( or there about, someone will correct me if I'm wrong ) they are hormonal and will fight over who is boss but many pairs get through this. Pairs slightly older than this are easy to find in rescues. What helps with dominance behaviour is a large cage, the bigger the better! It gives them more space to get away from each other if they need to. Also having two of things (hay racks, water bottles etc. ) can prevent fights. Boys aren't always bad, and girls can fight to. What's important is that they are bonded.

Thanks !

Hi! Which country are you in? Here in Britain, we have got several good guinea pig rescues that rehome only well bonded and healthy guinea pigs. I can also give you some names for the US and Australia, but not every state has got a good rescue. If you only have got access to baby boars, you have to face the risk that their personalities may turn out incompatible when the testosterone hits between 4-14 months old while they are both going through the same unstable phase. The key to a boar bond is character compatibility.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

If you are worried about fall-outs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for an adult pair of boars that is past their teenage hormones and generally much more stable. Alternatively, if you can find one, you could consider a neutered boar/sow pairing - they are the most stable of all pairings and you still get at least one boy! ;)
This thread here discusses the pros and cons of each possible pairing; you may find it helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/

With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful when exchanging experiences or trying to give suitable advice and recommendation if you added your country, state or (for the UK) your county/general area, so we can take the particulars of your location into consideration. You can do so by clicking on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details, then location. If you are a minor, please only add your country.

Thanks I will look at the links, this really helped

Hello.

Just thought I would write because I have 4 boys all together, mine are about 11 weeks old and they get on fine, they rumble at each other some times to tell each other to move. You just have to make sure you have enough food and water so they can move away from each other if they want to. Mine are trying to find top pig at the moment so get a bit annoyed.

I have had piggies on pairs before and both sets got on so well never fighting or anything. When you have more seem like they argue a little more.

Hope this helped

Fern x

I have two boys :) and they get along perfectly! Apart from trying to steal veggies from each other's mouths haha! But they soon notice there's a lot more veggies around and get their own! Hehe :)

I've got my fourth set of boys now - I love my boys and their attitude to life.

My first three pairs were all brothers. It turns out I've been very lucky and their personalities were compatible so I didn't have any fall outs. There was a bit of jockeying for position once they hit their hormones, but that settled down quickly and was never really violent - just lots of chasing and rumbling.

My current pair are both quite young still. I originally got Telford as a baby in the hope that he'd be a companion for Moriarty (my avatar boy) who at 5 years of age had just lost his brother and was lonely. It was on introducing them that I discovered that just because there was a large age difference it didn't mean that the dominance issues wouldn't happen!
My original plan had been to get Telford neutered and then switch to keeping girls once Moriarty had passed on. I then found this forum, got scared about the neuter operation going wrong and found out about boar dating.

I took Telford to my closest recommended rescue boar dating at the end of April. The first potential ‘date’ he met didn’t go well on either side. The second just somehow clicked. I now have young Brunel to keep Telford company; and they truly get on extremely well. My brother parings always seemed close – but these two just seem to be have been made for each other!

So yes you can keep a pair of boys….. just make sure they’re compatible first. The best way of doing this is through a rescue/boar dating.

Hi, I have 3 brothers their around 9-10 weeks and they love each other to bits I've not seen any fighting just seen lots of slow walking passed each other and heard them rumbling lots, great tips above (as always :) ) so I would not worry to much about a pair of boars not getting on as if you follow the tips above you should find a happy pairing.
One of my boys Oreo likes to sit on his own watching the world go by while the other two cuddle up under their towel I was a bit worried at first that he had been left out but I think he just likes to do his own thing as I do see them all cuddled up together each morning,
Oreo is also the first to the bowl at feeding times he's even worked out our routine :) he sits by the veg bowl as soon as I've treated him with his treatments knowing he gets his veg then, again in the evening he hears me coming with his pellets and runs to his other bowl.
All the best in your hunt for your boys, there is always great support on here if you need any more. Keep us posted and it will be great to see photos of them when you get them
Kell x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back