Boys living together and one is getting very friendly with the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay7

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have got two boys staying with me whilst owners are on hols. I have two 6 week old girls of my own their runs are near each other in the garden. This morning one of the boys was trying to hump the other. I checked them later on a thick hard cluey type patch was on gingers side. It was so hard i had to carefully snip if off thankfully his coat is long at the back so it was not too hard to cut off. Is this normal? Could it be that the scent of my girls are causing snowie to be like this with ginger.

Hiya

I am very new to piggies so I am sure people will be along with better advice than me (!) but generally speaking if two male animals start doing this to each other it is about dominance and trying to assert dominance over the other one... Maybe! Re the girls I have read that generally speaking if piggies boys can smell girlies it does start something off in them and they can be more aggressive with each other as result! ::) :)

I hope everything works out ok. x

Yes as far as i know its probably due to dominance. the smell of the girls will also set them off.

yep the above are right - it is definately a dominance thing and very natural O0

I've recently had the same thing happen with my girls. When I let them out in their enclosure one of them was running around madly and purring deeply, she was also pointing her bottom into the other guineas faces! One of my other guineas was then chasing her and jumped on her back! I was horrified as I thought Oh No we've mis-sexed them! However, I read up on the behaviour and apparently it is quite normal for girls who are on heat to act in this way. Phew! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back