Boys have had a fallout

Bertie & Jelly

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I bonded a new boar Hutch with Bertie 2 weeks ago. They are both 4 and the bonding went well. They have been happily living together since - big cage, 2 of everything, open ended hideys. Out of the blue this afternoon they went into full on fight mode. I’ve no idea what triggered it - it was like bonding day but far more active. There’s been no blood - mostly mounting (bottom and head) bum sniffing, chasing - interspersed with sleeping and hay munching. It started with equal mounting then Hutch has been the more active one. I’ve removed everything from the cage except hay and am keeping a watch on them. After about an hour of this they are currently quiet/worn out.

They never really seemed to have established obvious dominance since they came together. I’ve read the informative guides on here. Could this be delayed dominance behaviours? I’m hoping they haven’t fallen out to the point of separation 🤞

Keep a very close eye on them if they are still together. A full on fight is usually never good news so be prepared with the separation plan. They may have decided they can’t form a hierarchy after all.

Ive just had to do it with one of my boar pairs. They are teenagers though (19/20 weeks old now). Together for 10 weeks absolutely fine, and then suddenly a full on fight and sadly permanent separation two weeks ago.

Keep a very close eye on them if they are still together. A full on fight is usually never good news so be prepared with the separation plan. They may have decided they can’t form a hierarchy after all.

Ive just had to do it with one of my boar pairs. They are teenagers though (19/20 weeks old now). Together for 10 weeks absolutely fine, and then suddenly a full on fight and sadly permanent separation two weeks ago.
Oh my. After 10 weeks? Sorry to hear that. Thank you for your advice. I haven’t separated them yet as they’re quiet. But definitely keeping an eye on them.

Keep us posted. Fingers crossed it’s something your boys can sort out and they can remain together.

Yes unfortunately, their teens properly hit and they just decided they didnt like each other after all. They are both too dominant.

Back