Boys fighting

Chloe.123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Desperately need some advice. I have noticed one of my boars has blood on his nose. Looks like a cut so I'm guessing they have had a fight.

I've been watching them and it's very up and down, 1 minute they're eating next to each other, the next there's teeth chattering. They've just had what seems like another little fight.

Should I separate?

Thanks

If they are actually fighting and causing injuries, then it does sound as if there may be problems and separation may be the outcome.

Can you tell us a bit more about them as it will help us understand more of the situation
how old are they?
How long have they been together?
how big is their cage?
do all hides have two exits?

If they are actually fighting and causing injuries, then it does sound as if there may be problems and separation may be the outcome.

Can you tell us a bit more about them as it will help us understand more of the situation
how old are they?
How long have they been together?
how big is their cage?
do all hides have two exits?

Thank you. There has been another 'scuffle' so I have decided to separate for now. I was reading through the files and it said a trial separation may help?

The aggressor is 12 weeks today, so I'm guessing he's just hit his teenage phase? The older is 7 months.
They have been together for 5 weeks and until today there hasn't been any problems
The hutch is 6x2, they currently don't have any hides only the 'bedroom area'

It could be a case of hormones and the younger one trying to take over as top pig. Can you give more detail on the ‘scuffle’ please? What exactly happened - was there cashing, teeth chattering etc? Did any pig let himself be mounted/humped or refused outright? Was one trapped in a corner?

Thank you. There has been another 'scuffle' so I have decided to separate for now. I was reading through the files and it said a trial separation may help?

The aggressor is 12 weeks today, so I'm guessing he's just hit his teenage phase? The older is 7 months.
They have been together for 5 weeks and until today there hasn't been any problems
The hutch is 6x2, they currently don't have any hides only the 'bedroom area'

If they need a time out if things are getting heated, then a trial separation for a few days and reintroduction on neutral territory will allow them to make their own minds up about the relationship. It will become clear upon that reintroduction whether their bond is functioning.
And, yes you’ve got a teenager and a pre-teen there, so hormones are most likely in play.

The fact there is no hides might be an issue. They are both being forced to use the one bedroom area of the hutch and given such built in bedroom areas, while large inside, they only have one door so if one is trying to come in and one out or the dominant doesn’t want the submissive in the bedroom area, then it can be a place for issues. Providing a two exit hide each so they both have somewhere to go and claim as their own territory is important.
I actually take the dividing bedroom wall out of my hutches for my boys so there is no risk of it causing issues. It creates one large open and easily accessible space with two exit hides so there are no dead ends

Last edited:
It could be a case of hormones and the younger one trying to take over as top pig. Can you give more detail on the ‘scuffle’ please? What exactly happened - was there cashing, teeth chattering etc? Did any pig let himself be mounted/humped or refused outright? Was one trapped in a corner?
I heard it instead of saw it. Loud banging as they came together and then the older boar was forced out and the hair on his face was ruffled. He's got quite a deep cut below his nose and it was fresh blood when I first went out there and saw it.

There was lots of loud teeth chattering and the younger one seemed to square up and jump forward as if challenging if that makes sense? No humping but the older did run away.

If they need a time out if things are getting heated, then a trial separation for a few days and reintroduction on neutral territory will allow them to make their own minds up about the relationship. It will become clear upon that reintroduction whether their bond is functioning.
And, yes you’ve got a teenager and a pre-teen there, so hormones are most likely in play.

The fact there is no hides might be an issue. They are both being forced to use the one bedroom area of the hutch and given such built in bedroom areas, while large inside, they only have one door so if one is trying to come in and one out or the dominant doesn’t want the submissive in the bedroom area, then it can be a place for issues. Providing a two exit hide each so they both have somewhere to go and claim as their own territory is important.
I actually take the dividing bedroom wall out of my hutches for my boys so there is no risk of it causing issues. It creates one large open and easily accessible space with two exit hides so there are no dead ends
I will give a trial separation a try.

I didn't think about the bedroom area that way. If they happen to go back together I will definitely remove the dividing wall.

When separated they still need to be next to each other. Hopefully you will work something out. Good luck. hHopefully it’s just a hormone surge and they’ll go back together.

Do clean the cut but don’t hesitate to get it checked out if you prefer. Sometimes a misplaced/defence swipe can cause cuts.

Back