Boys don't chew is that a problem?

thedosboys

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm the dad of Diego and Manny, they are a bonded pair about 3 years of age.

When I first thought about getting guinea pigs everyone says that they are going to chew, so make things chew proof or give them things to chew on.

But I've had my boys for almost a month and.... They don't chew. I have card board, egg cartons, safe sticks, and other chew toys. But they haven't gnawed at them or anything.

They haven't chewed on their furniture either or even the fleece or cage. I know they chew to help their teeth and hay helps with that too but I thought they would chew more.

I've tried putting the toys in hay and veggies to make them smell like it but it doesn't work either. Is this a problem I should be looking into?

No, don’t worry, there is no problem here.

The only thing they need to chew and the only thing which wears their teeth is hay and grass.
Chewing cardboard, toys etc does nothing for dental wear. Some will chew toys, some wont but either way it won’t affect their health from a dental point of view.

I'm the dad of Diego and Manny, they are a bonded pair about 3 years of age.

When I first thought about getting guinea pigs everyone says that they are going to chew, so make things chew proof or give them things to chew on.

But I've had my boys for almost a month and.... They don't chew. I have card board, egg cartons, safe sticks, and other chew toys. But they haven't gnawed at them or anything.

They haven't chewed on their furniture either or even the fleece or cage. I know they chew to help their teeth and hay helps with that too but I thought they would chew more.

I've tried putting the toys in hay and veggies to make them smell like it but it doesn't work either. Is this a problem I should be looking into?

Hi

In a balanced dental system the crucial constantly growing back teeth ground down from the silica in the grass/hay fibre that should make over three quarters of what guinea pigs eat in a day - for dental, gut and overall long term health. The growth rate of the teeth has evolved against the high abrasiveness of their dietary mainstay. Our veg, pellets and any treats together only replace the role of wild forage. Especially overfeeding pellets can promote dental problems because it takes away from the hay intake.

The front teeth in a balanced dental system are self-sharpening against each other; they are used to picking up and cutting food. An even edge means that all is well. If the edge is jagged, this means restricted, uneven chewing. A slanted edge usually points toward one-sided chewing because of a pain issue. Inside pointing edges mean serious dental overgrowth at the back. This goes together with weight loss from less and less food intake. Please see a vet and switch from the life-long weekly weigh-in to weighing daily first thing in the morning and stepping in with feeding support.

If your boys are not interested in chewing toys, then it means that all is well. Piggies explore with their teeth and they like chewing - often what you'd like them least; some much more than others.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Weight - Monitoring and Management
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Back