Boy to girl ratio

Zombiepanda

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all! I currently have 3 lovely ladies and 1 neutered man-of-the-house. I recently took in a neglected piggy. I won’t go into her living conditions, but I was glad to get her out. She been with us for a few days and doing really well! And I had plans to start dating her with the group and integrate her within a week or so (hopefully/depending).

So to the point. I think SHE is a HE. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow for a checkup and to have her sexed, but I’m pretty sure ‘she’ has testicles.

I, obviously, cannot put an un-neutered boar in with the gals. But is it even possible to have two neutered boars and three sows? Or is that just not gonna happen? Just trying to determine what route to take on the chance that he’s a boy.

Btw-he hasn’t been in contact with my group at all so no worries there

Hello all! I currently have 3 lovely ladies and 1 neutered man-of-the-house. I recently took in a neglected piggy. I won’t go into her living conditions, but I was glad to get her out. She been with us for a few days and doing really well! And I had plans to start dating her with the group and integrate her within a week or so (hopefully/depending).

So to the point. I think SHE is a HE. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow for a checkup and to have her sexed, but I’m pretty sure ‘she’ has testicles.

I, obviously, cannot put an un-neutered boar in with the gals. But is it even possible to have two neutered boars and three sows? Or is that just not gonna happen? Just trying to determine what route to take on the chance that he’s a boy.

Btw-he hasn’t been in contact with my group at all so no worries there

Hi and welcome

Great that you are checking the sex before you do anything. You may find our sexing guide with lots of reference pictures helpful, from newborns to adults; including pictures of decending and fully descended testicles so you can see for yourself whether you have a sow or a boar. By that age, the genders are quite distinct once you know what to look for. ;)
Here is the link: Illustrated Sexing Guide

Please alway quarantine any piggy over 4 months if they haven't already undergone it at a good welfare standard rescue. Importance Of Quarantine

Unfortunately the boar : sow ratio is 1 boar with any number of sows per bonded group.
Two boars is the surefire recipe for trouble, latest as soon as the sows are coming into season and are reacting more strongly to all the testosterone and male pheromones that are wafting around. :(
More information on what works and what not when adding piggies: Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

You can keep a single boar or two mixed groups/pairs next to each other (as long as they can't get at the others) but they cannot mix face to face. But if you have indeed got a boar, then you are in any case looking at a two cage situation.

Back