Boy climbing on the other boy

Tarzee123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two two year old boys. They get on well but over the last week one of them constantly climbs on the back of the other and it’s got to the point where the other one doesn’t want to leave their house because every time he does the other one climbs on him. I’m not sure of the reason for this Change in behaviour other than I let them have the run of the garden a week ago while I cleaned their home out and it seems to be since then.

Mounting is an entirely normal behaviour and is the way boars reassert and maintain their relationship.

How long have they been together?

They reestablish their relationship in any new territory so the fact you put them in the garden and cleaned out their cage (ie removed all the scent that made it their territory) all at the same time was probably too much for them all at once.

Boars like to know their territory is theirs so only changing half the bedding at one time (doing the other half a few days later) can be advisable for some boar pairs who find it hard to cope with a full clean.
Also, some boars get a bit of ‘spring fever’ which causes hormonal outbursts.

If the mounting is becoming excessive and one piggy is now becoming withdrawn because of it, you may need to do a temporary separation for a few days to let hormones settle. After a few days you can then carry out a reintroduction on neutral territory. This will allow for hormones to settle down and then upon reintroduction in neutral territory it will allow them to decide if they are still able to be together. If their bond is still functioning then they will go back together without issue.

Bonds In Trouble
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Back