Bottom Washing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatAWheek

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have recently taken on three new girls from a family who were emigrating. One of them is much smellier than the others (and infact smellier than any other GP I have had, and I've had a lot). I asked the family about it and they said she had been checked out and that the vet was happy with her. So I've been bathing her weekly in a shampoo they gave me but there's no label on it. So my questions are whether anyone else has had a smelly pig and did you find anything to help such as diet change, and could anyone recommend a suitable shampoo? Thank you.

What do you mean smelly, as in her wee gets in her fur or her poos or?
I have a long haired girl who sits in her wee and can get a bit pongy. I keep her hair short down there and 'pat' her down with those flat cotton wool pads and warm water every week or so and that keeps her clean. I try my best to avoid baths as she really hates it, but when I'm forced to, I use Gorgeous Guineas shampoo (they do a few varieties to match your guinea) and just dunk her bum in, and even then I have to have her husboar with her as well or she calls constantly for him!

Hi, well she's got hair that kind of stands up everywhere but strangely she doesn't have a lot around her bottom. She does seem to get poo sticking to herself quite a lot and I gently lift it away while she soaks in the bath which she doesn't seem to mind so much - makes me think she's been regularly bathed! Her previous family said that cucumber gave her the runs so I have avoided feeding that but I wondered whether anyone knew of any other foods which might produce a smelly bottom.

Hello, welcome to the forum :) Not many forums where you can post a thread called 'Bottom Washing' eh? :))

Hmmmm, how odd.

Some piggies have a very active grease gland that may need washing a little more as the fur can get saticky and matted around it.

Keep her bum fur trimmed short and regular 'bum baffs' as opposed to full baffs. Can often do it with a sponge.

How is very poo? It should come out as pellets not sticky...

Hi, yes indeed! It could lead to all sorts of trouble in the wrong place!

I have heard of grease spot problems but I've never seen it before so I'll look that up. Would that account for the ponginess? Poos are fine - nice and pellety.
She tends to sit with her front paws in my hand in the bath which I fill to about 1.5" depth and I wash her back end only. A sponge is a good idea though :)

Hi, yes indeed! It could lead to all sorts of trouble in the wrong place!

I have heard of grease spot problems but I've never seen it before so I'll look that up. Would that account for the ponginess? Poos are fine - nice and pellety.
She tends to sit with her front paws in my hand in the bath which I fill to about 1.5" depth and I wash her back end only. A sponge is a good idea though :)

Good news on the poo. Over active grease isn't a problem it just makes it a little more sticky. Our oldest has a really active grease gland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back