bottled water for pigs

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
wondering what bottled water everyone buys for their pigs (ie best calcium ratio etc) as I'm worried the brita filter may not be enough…

I just use tap water. My area has soft water that comes off the hills so we are quite lucky

If you filter water and keep pellets limited, then that is enough.
Remember that if you try to remove too much calcium from the diet then the balance is still wrong and you can risk causing bladder stones by going too far in the wrong direction.

Just filtered tap water here too. Bottled water isn't necessarily soft water, nor is it necessarily softer than what comes out of your tap.

I just give them tap water (soft), same thing that I drink. I haven't bothered filtering it, most developed countries have regulatory standards that public tap has to comply with, and there are also some beneficial minerals and such in there that I wouldn't want to filter out.

I just give them tap water (soft), same thing that I drink. I haven't bothered filtering it, most developed countries have regulatory standards that public tap has to comply with, and there are also some beneficial minerals and such in there that I wouldn't want to filter out.
Unfortunately in this Country our tap water is extremely hard in most areas. Everything water touches gets caked in a chalky substance. The pipes to this house are so clogged up our water pressure is poor and the pipes need to be replaced. The forum recommends most areas of this Country need to filter their water, we have a high incidence of piggies with bladder/kidney stones. Vets here who are piggy savvy also recommend to filter water.

All About Drinking And Bottles

I believe the tap water in the US is very different to the UK.

Tap water will vary heavily town to town in the US, so I'm not sure it's possible to compare it to UK tap water as a whole.
We filter our (hard and poor-tasting) tap water for human and dog consumption. We've given bottled spring water (Poland Spring) to the guinea pigs for a while now. Probably not that helpful to the OP, since I'm in the US, but maybe helpful to someone.

We live in a hard water area. We filtered our water, but converted to bottled (along with dietary changes) as our sow gets urinary sludge. We get Tesco's Ashbeck bottled water, as it's one of the cheapest options with the lowest calcium. We wouldn't get bottled water if our piggie didn't have a known issue.

Back