Bottle jammed

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've noticed on a few of my older bottles the bearings have started to jam and stop the flow of water. I've cleaned them and used cotton buds to clean the spout, soaked them in hot water and sterilising fluid. Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a case of buying new bottles?

If it's a case of buying new, is there anywhere I can get just the spouts? Just seems a waste if I have to throw away the whole thing.

Pigs have a working bottle and a bowl so they have plenty of accessible water with this bottle being out of action.

Hello,

I know this is a late reply but since no one else had helped you out/ given you advice yet I thought I would anyway.

So I would recommend just throwing it away. I know you seemed reluctant to do this but honestly if you've already cleaned it and soaked it as best as you could, I don't think there's a whole lot more you can do. It's also good to change their bottle every couple of months or so as from past experiences they might stop drinking from it suddenly even if it's a clean bottle and fresh water (it's probably something to do with the plastic). Unfortunately I do not know any places that sell just the lid, and I don't think a supermarket would let you just take one off and buy that 😂 - and also because if you're buying just the lid from somewhere you don't have that guarantee it will fit the bottle you currently have. I have to say though this has never happened to me with any of the bottles I've bought, so it could also just be the case of what bottle you're getting and how well it is/lasts? Hope this helped a bit!

I like those ferplast sippy water bottles. I always find the bottle type leak or like you jam and not provide enough water

This sort? Ferplast Sippy Large Animal Drinking Bottle | Welcome to Porton Garden Aquatic & Pets

I currently have glass bottles like the living world ones.
I have the glass Living World bottles (with a flat side) too, but I have the opposite problem. Mine keep leaking and soaking the fleece liner. I can't work out why, but it seems to get worse the emptier the bottle gets. I've tried soaking them in vinegar in case limescale (I'm in a hard water area) is preventing the ball from sealing against the end of the spout. It didn't seem to help, but maybe it might help with your problem if you get limescale too.

Think I might give a soppy bottle a try too ...

I have the glass Living World bottles (with a flat side) too, but I have the opposite problem. Mine keep leaking and soaking the fleece liner. I can't work out why, but it seems to get worse the emptier the bottle gets. I've tried soaking them in vinegar in case limescale (I'm in a hard water area) is preventing the ball from sealing against the end of the spout. It didn't seem to help, but maybe it might help with your problem if you get limescale too.

Think I might give a soppy bottle a try too ...
I've only had problems with the plastic classic bottles leaking.

The balls in the spout seem to move ok so I don't understand why no water comes out.

Back