Bored pigs

5Pigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I've been noticing my guinea pigs are looking quite bored lately and I can't blame them I've searched everywhere on guinea pig games I can play with them with but it doesn't seem to gain their attention what games can I play with them to make more happier?

:wel:

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your piggies - how many live together, how much space they have, what enrichment they already have in the cage?

This thread will give you some ideas on enrichment - things like scattering their veg and pellets amongst loose piles of hay so they have to search for it, cardboard boxes stuffed with hay etc.
They won’t want to play games as such.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Hi! I've been noticing my guinea pigs are looking quite bored lately and I can't blame them I've searched everywhere on guinea pig games I can play with them with but it doesn't seem to gain their attention what games can I play with them to make more happier?

Hi and welcome

Have a look at our enrichment guide for ideas for stimulation; you can find lots in there to then create your own.
Please accept that adult guinea pigs are much less active and playful than babies. Adults you get most via working for their food (turn feeding time into enrichment time). Smells from other groups can also trigger great interest although you should never introduce sow pheromones into a boars only space.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

You may also find it interesting how guinea pigs develop through their lives: Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

Both links are part of our pretty extensive information resource, which you may want to bookmark, browse, read and re-read at need as you pick up on different things at different stages of experience: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Welcome to the forum.
Mine love a big paper bag full of hay.
There’s hours of fun in destroying one.
They’re also good for hiding in and sleeping in

Welcome to the forum.
Mine love a big paper bag full of hay.
There’s hours of fun in destroying one.
They’re also good for hiding in and sleeping in

Thanks! What bag would you suggest? I wouldn't wanna get a bag that would be bad for them!

A lot of stores now use paper bags rather than plastic bags so I just make sure I ask for one of the larger ones.
It’s an excuse to go to some of my favourite shops, like Hotel Chocolat.
I tell myself that I’m only buying the chocolate so the piggies can have the bag!

Basically any largish bag will do but ones with foil or glitter.
Plain is best

A lot of stores now use paper bags rather than plastic bags so I just make sure I ask for one of the larger ones.
It’s an excuse to go to some of my favourite shops, like Hotel Chocolat.
I tell myself that I’m only buying the chocolate so the piggies can have the bag!

Basically any largish bag will do but ones with foil or glitter.
Plain is best

Oh okay thanks! Do you know any stores that sell paper bags? because most of the stores I know of only sell plastic bags like the dollar store and Walmart

Sorry I don’t know as I live in the UK.
We get a free paper bag with our shopping in some stores.
Maybe one of our American members will be able to help.

Oh okay thanks! Do you know any stores that sell paper bags? because most of the stores I know of only sell plastic bags like the dollar store and Walmart
It would also help us a lot if you could tell us more about your piggies - names, ages, type of cage, what things you have already tried?

It would also help us a lot if you could tell us more about your piggies - names, ages, type of cage, what things you have already tried?
I have 5 their names are Milania - 1 year old, Leila - 4 years old, Snow - 4 years old, Spooky - 4 months old and Elfie - 2 months old

As for their cage sizes I don't know their exact measurements as it's a custom built cage

The things I've tried are a maze but it didn't gage their full attention

Pigtures please!

You could try tunnels. Construction pipes, fleece tunnels. Add fun safe toys that will get your pigs excited :) Blocks of non-toxic wood?

Pigtures please!

You could try tunnels. Construction pipes, fleece tunnels. Add fun safe toys that will get your pigs excited :) Blocks of non-toxic wood?
I'll definitely try tunnels! The pigs LOVE tunnels they don't really like wooden sticks though or things like that!

1st pig (black, brown and white one) - Milania
2nd pig (brown, black and white) Leila
3rd pig (fully white) Snow
4th pig (grey, creme) Spooky
5th pig (other fully white) Elfie

Attachments

• 20220131_140601.webp
    20220131_140601.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220126_194440.webp
    20220126_194440.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220126_193634.webp
    20220126_193634.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220126-194818_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20220126-194818_Gallery.webp
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
I’ve been trying to find games for my pigs as well but they r not very curios so it’s hard…

Guinea pigs don't really 'play' like some other animals do. Honestly, the things that my pigs enjoy the most are just extensions of natural behaviors... we give them free play time in a blocked off area nightly and scatter treats around so that they can forage like they would in the wild, sniffing around and finding all the treats. Most of the things that my pigs enjoy most involve finding and eating food in some way! LOL!

Paper lunch bags or something like that would be fine. Anything that doesn't have ink on it. Hope this helps!

Mine are currently destroying the cardboard inner tube of a loo roll, stuffed with hay. It's being tugged and nibbled and tossed around the cage with huge excitement.

Mine are currently enjoying a box, on its side, filled with hay.
They love paper bags filled with hay - a good quality bag can last as long as 5 days!

Per the suggestions about bags, just buy a stack of paper lunch bags! They love them and so easy to replace when it’s destroyed.

One super easy enrichment thing I love to do on days that I’m extra busy or feel they may need something extra is just pop open a window. My pigs LOVE the smell of fresh air, and as soon as we open the window, their little noses are all in the air sniffing around. It’s not a replacement for other enrichment, but it’s so easy and taps into their natural instincts. :)

Back