Bored Guinea pigs ?

Stretters91

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys !
We have two boats who live separately next to each other ! , they have play time outside of the cage together and love chasing each other around Together, but they live next door to each other :)
They are around 2 and half !
We just feel like they are very lazy ? Not sure if this is normal but sometimes I feel like they could be bored ?
They have hideys/ and cardboard boxes around there cages with hay and stuffed boxes of hay also !
What else do you think we could offer for our lovely boys ? :)

Attachments

• D75C7E2F-680E-4708-B08B-F36F24FC50F1.webp
    D75C7E2F-680E-4708-B08B-F36F24FC50F1.webp
    126.4 KB · Views: 22
Hello there. Please do not let them play together if they live separately. Every time they meet up outside their cage they go through the bonding process.
Other members will come along shortly to provide more insight.

It’s quite normal for older piggies to not be particularly active in their cages. You have given them a good amount of enrichment in their cages.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

If they cannot live in the same cage, then allowing them to have playtime together to them is a full on bonding session causing them to try to establish a relationship every time which is then aborted when they go back to their own cages. This can be stressful for them.
They either need to be properly bonded, live in the same cage and permanently remain together. Or, if they do not get on and cannot have a functioning relationship, then they need to be kept separate and have have separate floor times.

Thanks guys ! I have read through that one aswell was just looking for other things ☺️☺️

Big piles of hay with forage or veg mixed is one of the best things to keep my boys occupied, but as mentioned, it is quite normal for them to appear more lazy and not run around as much as they get older (and you are already providing lots of lovely hideys and tunnels) but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are bored though.

Back