Bonding

onnie97

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I bought a hairless pig around 6 months ago from are pets smart yes I know not great but I figured I could give him a better life I don't know his age due to HIM coming from there I'm guessing hes around a year to a year and a 1/2. I bought another pig day two days ago That is six months he is also male. I tried buying 2 other Guinea pigs to pair with my original skinny pig but I'm a new Guinea pig owner and I did not introduce them correctly. this time I am trying to go about that the proper way. I haven't seen any fighting or biting but my older pig is continuing to rumble strut and rub his man parts all over the floor. He continues to chase the smaller pig But he doesn't do it constantly. last night they were having floor time and the smaller pig got into the older pigs cage and I went to get him out because I didn't want the older pig to be upset but the older pig was okay with it and he let the younger pig sleep in his box for a hr with no issue. then when the younger pig woke up My Older pig started Rumble strutting and chasing again i've had them together for two days now their cages are side by side they come out twice a day for our long floor times together Just wondering how long I will continue to see the dominant from my older pig towards my younger pig And if this sounds like more money behavior Also how long should I keep them in separate cages

Hello and welcome to the forum. Bonding boars in pairs only should be done on neutral territory and a one off. Please don’t keep separating them as they then have to start all over again. Rumbling and chasing in themselves is quite mild dominance and not a reason to separate (if they are still together) as long as each piggie is allowed to eat and sleep.

Please read through our bonding guide, you will find it very helpful
Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

So I just put a new younger male in with my year old male my older one keeps rubbing his butt in the small ones face....why and there not fighting r they safe to leave in this cage over night together?

Hi, this sounds to me like an act of dominance and I would not be too worried unless they begin to fight. Just please keep an eye on them for now.

Please read the bonding guide below as it explains the correct way to carry out a boar bonding. Boar bonding is a one time event carried out on neutral territory for a few hours and is either a success or failure there and then. They then either go into the same cage together permanently or need to be kept separate permanently.

What you cannot do is put them together for floor time, then separate, then put them together again repeatedly. Doing this means they never bond. Each time you separate them and put them back into their own cage, the process ends and means they need to start again right from the beginning next time you put them together. They never get to finish the process due to the next separation. This causes them stress and is very frustrating for them. In some cases cause harm their ability to form a bond.

Following the a neutral territory bonding day and them going into the same cage, it will then take them around two weeks to fully form their bond and hierarchy.

Ensure the cage they are to live in is big enough - that is 180x60cm for a boar pair. Any smaller and they can run into space related issues.
Also ensure you provide two of every item - two bottles, two hay piles, two hides. Ensure all hides have two exits also so no piggy can get cornered inside one by the other (this poses a risk of defensive injuries)

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

To add, please don’t try to bond three boars together. Boars can only be kept in pairs to be successful. Three together almost always fails due to their inability to form a functioning hierarchy.

Thank you for the information I have everything they need as far as they're living situation they have two of everything I think they finally bonded I did what you guys said and just let him go together for like three four hours and then we put them in the same cage thanks for the information very helpful

Hello and welcome to the forum. Bonding boars in pairs only should be done on neutral territory and a one off. Please don’t keep separating them as they then have to start all over again. Rumbling and chasing in themselves is quite mild dominance and not a reason to separate (if they are still together) as long as each piggie is allowed to eat and sleep.

Please read through our bonding guide, you will find it very helpful
Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides
Thanks everything went great

Back