Bonding

ncoopz2019

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey I rescued a boar piggy couple weeks back he was alone bless him I was wanting to get him a friend and hope it brings him out his shell more I was wondering if anyone new of any rescues that bond boy with boy as dont want girls due to my other 4 boys don't want them fighting over the smells and things I need it locally to me as I don't drive I'm in the romford area so Essex area I've tried 2 one don't bond at all but one does they have no boy piggies that are alone any suggestions would be appreciated

Hey I rescued a boar piggy couple weeks back he was alone bless him I was wanting to get him a friend and hope it brings him out his shell more I was wondering if anyone new of any rescues that bond boy with boy as dont want girls due to my other 4 boys don't want them fighting over the smells and things I need it locally to me as I don't drive I'm in the romford area so Essex area I've tried 2 one don't bond at all but one does they have no boy piggies that are alone any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi

Unfortunately none of our recommended rescues that offer boar dating is close to you. None of the RSPCA branches will bond unneutered boars.
The ones that offer dating are mostly privately run and the standard to which they are un can vary enormously as in this country anybody can call themselves a breeder or a rescue (and anything in between) without licensing or supervision. Rescues that are registered charities have to work up to a good welfare standard to be able to apply and are reviewed every two years. Of course, the distribution is not even and the picture is ever changing, so access is very variable.
Guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

Hi

Unfortunately none of our recommended rescues that offer boar dating is close to you. None of the RSPCA branches will bond unneutered boars.
The ones that offer dating are mostly privately run and the standard to which they are un can vary enormously as in this country anybody can call themselves a breeder or a rescue (and anything in between) without licensing or supervision. Rescues that are registered charities have to work up to a good welfare standard to be able to apply and are reviewed every two years. Of course, the distribution is not even and the picture is ever changing, so access is very variable.
Guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
So will I have no choice but to leave him on his own then I'm so stuck with what my options are

Does he live alongside other piggies? Living as neighbours with other piggies can provide interaction so living in a cage on his own isn’t awful but of course living in a cage with another is best.

Is there anybody who can take you to a rescue centre further afield?

So will I have no choice but to leave him on his own then I'm so stuck with what my options are

You have a number of different options, from living alongside an other piggy or bonded pair to trying and bond him with a bought baby (keeping in mind that it may not work out and that need to have the space for a divided cage if that happens, i.e. a living alongside option as your fall-back plan B).

You could also consider having him neutered so he can live with a sow or two after the obligatory 6 weeks post-op safety wait. Many of my own string of adopted 'husboars' (i.e. neutered boars living with sows) have started out either as singles or as fallen out boys; one or two were even deemed as 'unbondable' - the worst bully boy actually ended up with 13 wives in his hey-day and lived the dream for 5 1/2 years of a 7 years' long life!

Please take your time explore the different options and see which one is most practicable for you, in your location and personal situation. What you ultimately do has to fit your situation and gives your boy the happiest life possible.
I have travelled on the train for over 2 hours each way to rescue date a boar with sows of mine; but I do have the advantage of having fairly good railway connections and a much more central location compared to you.

These guides explore your different options with their various pros and cons in greater depth so you can make as informed a decision as possible:
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

You have a number of different options, from living alongside an other piggy or bonded pair to trying and bond him with a bought baby (keeping in mind that it may not work out and that need to have the space for a divided cage if that happens, i.e. a living alongside option as your fall-back plan B).

You could also consider having him neutered so he can live with a sow or two after the obligatory 6 weeks post-op safety wait. Many of my own string of adopted 'husboars' (i.e. neutered boars living with sows) have started out either as singles or as fallen out boys; one or two were even deemed as 'unbondable' - the worst bully boy actually ended up with 13 wives in his hey-day and lived the dream for 5 1/2 years of a 7 years' long life!

Please take your time explore the different options and see which one is most practicable for you, in your location and personal situation. What you ultimately do has to fit your situation and gives your boy the happiest life possible.
I have travelled on the train for over 2 hours each way to rescue date a boar with sows of mine; but I do have the advantage of having fairly good railway connections and a much more central location compared to you.

These guides explore your different options with their various pros and cons in greater depth so you can make as informed a decision as possible:
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
Omg thanks so much for your advice I just want him to have the best life possible all I want bless him didn't have the best start so tryna make it before but thank you I'll be researching and do what I can x

Omg thanks so much for your advice I just want him to have the best life possible all I want bless him didn't have the best start so tryna make it before but thank you I'll be researching and do what I can x

We are here to discuss any details with you if you have any questions. As said - there is no right or wrong way; just working out what is best for your piggy and you with what is available to you.

We are here to discuss any details with you if you have any questions. As said - there is no right or wrong way; just working out what is best for your piggy and you with what is available to you.
No worries thanks so much I'll do alot a research and see what my resources are and what I can cope with I do appreciate everything thanks so much wellbeing of my piggy is what's more important

No worries thanks so much I'll do alot a research and see what my resources are and what I can cope with I do appreciate everything thanks so much wellbeing of my piggy is what's more important

All the best! I am sure that you find a way to make your boy happy.

Back