Bonding young females - group of 3

Piggles&Squiggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

I have two 3 1/2 month old females and have seen an advert in my local area for a 5 month old female who is alone due to another pig passing.
I feel really sorry for this lonely piggy and wanted to get your thoughts on introducing this female to my pair. I appreciate that successful bonding is down to character, but seeing as they are still babies, i wanted to get your thoughts on whether this could be successful? Neither of my two have shown much dominance yet so thinking this could be a good time before they get older?

Thanks in advance :)

It really is a difficult thing to answer because it does come down to character - we know nothing of your piggies, nor you or us of the new piggy so it would really just be a guessing game - what looks good on paper can be completely wrong and vice Versa!

For me, it would come down to what would you do with the single piggy if the bonding fails? Do you have the space for a second cage and finding a new friend for the single piggy, financial means etc? If these things are not an issue to you, then go ahead and adopt the piggy and attempt the bonding, but if you couldn’t manage four piggies in two cages, then it would be a risk to take on a piggy on spec.
Don’t forget any new piggies you bring in would require a two week quarantine ideally in a separate room so you don’t pass any illnesses to your two piggies.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I'll add that there is a risk with one being left out when it comes to trios. Something to consider, otherwise you've got good advise above. Let us know what you decide :)

It would be worth a try as long as you can provide an alternative solution if the bonding is not coming off (living alongside or rescue dating with a neutered boar or another sow for a second pair that is character matched to prevent any further issues).

In the end, it is the individual personality combination and the dynamics between the piggies that are the decider - and that is never anything you can anticipate. Single piggies can overreact with fear-aggression and feisty youngsters may not submit. I have seen so often bondings that look perfect on paper go down like a lead balloon as soon as the piggies are face to face.

The particular problem with trios is that they are the combination that is most difficult to get right. When they work, it is wonderful but the chances that you end up with an outsider issue of some sort or other is pretty great; I have had more trios that have never got off the ground or failed some time in due to group dynamics that developed over time.

I've just managed to bond a teenage sow with an adult mixed gender pair in one of my smoothest bondings after the newbie living alongside for 2-3 weeks. But this came on the heels of another failed bonding with a similar aged young sow (coming up to one year old) and her 6 year 'husboar' - despite initial excitement and the exchange of friendly 'I want to be your friend; behaviours that one failed very quickly. Thankfully, I have several possible options for my newest adoptee to give her a home on spec with the consent of the rescue. Just as an example how things often don't go quite to plan even will all the experience of so many bondings and bonding attempts...

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Thank you all for your comments - I decided not to purchase the lonely piggy, mainly because it wasnt coming from a rescue and therefore I was concerned about illnesses spreading to my girls (also my husband was far from keen!)

I have found a few rescues not too far away so if I reconsider in the future i will definitely go to them instead.

Thanks again, you encouraged me to go with my head and not my heart 🙂

Back